Help loading XP

_Primo_

n00b
Rookie at building a PC here, everything has went good so far but now I'm stuck. Powered up the system, and put in the Windows XP disk. The disk loaded and everything went fine until I came to the screen that gave me the option of installing windows, quiting without installing, and one other option that I can't remember atm. Anyway for reasons that are too embarrasing to explain I opted to quit without installing windows. Now I have went back to finish the job and the computer boots up but stops at a point with only the cursor flashing on the screen. I can't even get a dos prompt. How can I get it to finish installing windows?

New system so I assume new drive with nothing on it. If that is the case then just boot up with the CD in the tray, (may have to press the spacebar if prompted), blow up the partitions and start from scratch.

Thanks for replying ktwebb, yes is was a new and empty drive, what you are describing is exactly what I did the first time. It got to a point and flashed up "Reboot and select the correct boot device or insert media and press a key", at that point I placed the windows disk in the tray and hit the spacebar. The disk spun up and starting loading some files. Then it came to a point and stopped and gave me those three choices. I should have let it go on and install windows at that point and I probably wouldn't be here having to ask for help, but unfortunatley I didn't. Now when I boot the computer it stops at a blank screen with just the cursor flashing. Putting the windows disk back in and hitting the spacebar has no effect. As a matter of fact hitting any key does nothing. At this point I'm still kicking myself for not lettting windows load when I had the chance!!

The CD should never come out of the machine so I am confused by a couple of your statements there. Boot with the CD in the tray, making sure Boot from CD is enabled in yor BIOS. The machine will see the cD in the tray and give you a prompt. Typically to hit the spacebar to start the install. The point your getting to won't even be an option if done correctly. you won't get to it. it will start a fresh install and let you partition, format, etc..

I agree with ktwebb. It sounds like the computer is bypassing the CD and trying to boot from the hard drive. Since it can't find any bootable drive, it's just sitting at a cursor, dumbfounded.

I'm curious as to your reasoning for stopping the install the first time?

That worked, switched it in the bios to the CD and it worked as you said. I've now got another problem. After selecting install windows I get this message.

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer, make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacture supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue - press F3 to exit."

Now before I go any futher I'll answer Wingy, the computer isn't mine, its a co-worker of mine who wanted to build one and asked for my help. His son had given him an illegal copy of Windows XP Pro and that is what he had put in the drive the first time. Which didn't make any sense to me since he already had Windows 98 SE and had purchased a copy of Windows XP upgrade. I was against using the pirated disk and that was the reason for stopping the first install. That being said using your advice I installed Windows 98 no problems, but the upgrade is giving the above error.

One other thing, the harddrive is a SATA drive, there is only one installed, is that what is giving me the problem at this point? Do SATA drives have to be run in pairs?

Again, thanks for the replys and help.

If I am reading this correctly, you installed Win98 and then you moved to install the upgrade.

You shouldn't have to install Win98 then install WinXP even if WinXP is an upgrade. You should be able to boot from the WinXP CD and install WinXP from the CD. At some point during the installation you will be promted to insert a prior operating system in the drive. At this point you place the Win98 CD in the drive and it will validate that it is an upgrade. This way you don't have to convert FAT32 partitions to NTFS. Hope this helps.

Back