Help! Latest Ubuntu Nvidia driver won't fold

Emmanon

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 15, 2013
Messages
341
Like an idiot, I let the auto-update install the latest Nvidia 331 driver for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Now my GPU slots repeatedly download and dump WUs. How do I roll back to the previous version of the 331 driver:confused: I tried purging it and reinstalling from the command line. I used the xorg-edgers repository for the reinstall. Help:eek:
 
Did you try reverting back to the failsafe xorg.conf file? Or running nvidia-xconfig after the update? I had to try both after my update but its back to normal now.
 
I take that back, I had to manually download and install the linux drivers from nvidia.com after purging everything from apt.
 
I don't know enough Linux to succesfuly install the drivers from Nvidia.com. I tried in the past without success. Could someone cut&paste the CLI commands to do so:)
 
What did you purge with?

If you really want to make sure it's removed you can try and do:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge nvidia*

It will remove some other things you'll need. But you can add it back with:

Code:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

After that just reinstall the nvidia version you want.
 
After you purged it you should disable the xorg-edgers PPA and enable the Ubuntu x-swat PPA then install the driver from that. The x-swat PPA still has the older 331.20 version.
 
You're a life saver:D My cards are crunching away now. HFM is reporting typical TPF for them. That's the last time I let the automatic-update mess with the Nvidia driver.
 
Glad you are back in business. In the future you can tell Ubuntu not to update a particular package by doing this:

Code:
sudo apt-mark hold nvidiawhatver

This will allow you to update other parts of the system but keep your driver version held. Replace "nvidiawhatver" with whatever the name of the nvidia package is.
 
Thanks. I was wondering how to tiptoe around future driver updates. I wish I'd gotten involved in this forum sooner. I'm impressed by the support of fellow folders:)
 
Back
Top