Help Klipsch Promedia 5.1 problem

magoo

[H]F Junkie
My three year old promedia has always worked like a charm. Wednesday it worked fine. Last night I turned on the comp for some gaming and I had no sound except some bass rumble and some occasional pops from the speakers. I checked EVERYTHING! The sound card is fine,another set of speakers works fine,I can run headphones fron the control module, the software is fine. If I turn the volume up REALLY HIGH I get some muffled sound from the speakers. WTF??? any ideas, Yes I checked all the connections and physical wiring. Im afraid something has died in the amp portion of the Sub??? Any help is appreciated. :(

I have a klipsch 4.1 system that had a few things burn up on the amp. Namely, a few resistors and some parts of the PCB. It still works, it just pops whenever you change the volume. Take the amp off the back of the sub and inspect the electronics. (Discharge the capacitors first!)

I talked to Klipsch. If you get sound via the headphones thru the volume controller and no sound in the speakers, guess what??? you amp is screwed. Go figure. Now I have to make a decision....send the HEAVY ASS thing to Arkansas for a repair or get a spanky new ULTRA 5.1 ???? Im sorta committed to Klipsch cuz I have these neat wall brackets for the rear speakers that will fit the ULTRA speakers too. Oh well one year past the warranty.....thats good right...BAH! :mad:

magoo said:
I talked to Klipsch. If you get sound via the headphones thru the volume controller and no sound in the speakers, guess what??? you amp is screwed. Go figure. Now I have to make a decision....send the HEAVY ASS thing to Arkansas for a repair or get a spanky new ULTRA 5.1 ???? Im sorta committed to Klipsch cuz I have these neat wall brackets for the rear speakers that will fit the ULTRA speakers too. Oh well one year past the warranty.....thats good right...BAH! :mad:

Or if you have the extra cash anyway, you could do both. :p Two sets of speakers never hurt anyone right?

How much does Klipsch want to repair them? You may have a local electronics repair shop that could do it, since they are out of warranty already. Also, have you considered looking for a replacement amp? Perhaps someone is selling the OEM amp at a reasonable price. I'd think you could replace it yourself.

my amp on the klipsch 5.1 gets awefully hot compare to my logitechs.

im also having a problem with one of the speakers. the rear right doesn't have sound, the other 4 are fine, and also the bass. I dont think its my speaker because I tried a different one, and it had sound, so I guess the amp is the problem?

hmm...if the speaker works in another amp...then it is clearly something to do with the amp. if the speaker doesn't work in another amp...then its clearly the speaker

try to klipsch forums..

I also heard Klipsch charges like 50+ shipping to repair the unit (amp/sub) :)

Klipsch charges $90 for repair. That includes the repair and shipment back to you. The sub is wicked heavy, about 30# and I guess would cost about $25 to send to them. I DID find a guy on EBay that had a 5.1 promedia sub. I had the auction won Friday night then some guy outbid me with 1 fucking second left on the meter. I just about threw the computer outta the room. Oh well. My problem is definately the AMP. I can hear swell thru my phones and when I bought MY NEW KLIPSCH ULTRA on Saturday, my speakers worked just fine.
What I decided to do was have my SUB fixed and then sell the Promedia (original) in the 4 sale forum or on Ebay. It almost makes me cry, because the original is in mint condition. I figured that with this new X-Fi deal from Creative it would be cool to have a new set of speaks too. Ill post the system for sale as soon as the SUB is fixed.

magoo said:
Klipsch charges $90 for repair. That includes the repair and shipment back to you. The sub is wicked heavy, about 30# and I guess would cost about $25 to send to them. I DID find a guy on EBay that had a 5.1 promedia sub. I had the auction won Friday night then some guy outbid me with 1 fucking second left on the meter. I just about threw the computer outta the room. Oh well. My problem is definately the AMP. I can hear swell thru my phones and when I bought MY NEW KLIPSCH ULTRA on Saturday, my speakers worked just fine.
What I decided to do was have my SUB fixed and then sell the Promedia (original) in the 4 sale forum or on Ebay. It almost makes me cry, because the original is in mint condition. I figured that with this new X-Fi deal from Creative it would be cool to have a new set of speaks too. Ill post the system for sale as soon as the SUB is fixed.

Good Choice The ultra's are damn nice huh? :D oOooo watching saving private ryan sounds real good.. :cool: BTW where you pick em up from?

I sorta had to do the deal in a hurry, so I got them at my local BestBuy. But I took the posting from NewEgg on Saturday where they had the price lowered to 302.BestBuy had them at 332. The guy went half way with me so I got a bit off their usual price. I did use BestBuy.com so technically it was an online purchase even tho I picked it up at the store. I thought it was nice of them to give me a few bucks off. They are sweet. Im looking froward to getting one of those spanky new X-Fi cards when they come out! :D

Why would you spend 400$ on the same speakers. The Ultra's are a -very- mild upgrade over the Regular 5.1's what a waste of money. You should have paid the 90 bucks to repair them, or finally moved to a Receiver/Speaker setup. I currently have Klispch 5.1's and when these bite it i'll likely move up to a receiver, even if I can only afford a receiver and 2 speakers to start. The early 5.1's had TONS of problems too btw, I had my set die on me and it got replaced with a brand new set and a 5 year warrenty.

Regards,
Mike

But what do receiver guys do for surround gaming? I dont want to be limited to DDL cards that are non creative. AFAIK creative doesnt have a DDL card so maybe im SOL.

Elderblaze said:
Why would you spend 400$ on the same speakers. The Ultra's are a -very- mild upgrade over the Regular 5.1's what a waste of money. You should have paid the 90 bucks to repair them, or finally moved to a Receiver/Speaker setup. I currently have Klispch 5.1's and when these bite it i'll likely move up to a receiver, even if I can only afford a receiver and 2 speakers to start. The early 5.1's had TONS of problems too btw, I had my set die on me and it got replaced with a brand new set and a 5 year warrenty.

Regards,
Mike

The Ultra's supposedly fix the faulty amp issues. etc... :D

I don't know alot about modern recievers or home audio. I've stuck with PC speaker systems exlclusively. I do know The klipsch 5.1's are among the best and that if you want somthing signifigantly better you have no choice but to go reciever/speakers.

I don't know this for a fact, but it would make sense, I'd think you could just have your Front/Rear/Sub outputs from your sound card going directly to your Reciever, and tell the receiver to not modify the soundsource or try to decode it. This should basically just amplify the sound and pass it to the speakers unmodified, thusly your still getting EAX and all the sound card abilities. The reason you'd go with a Reciever is to allow the use of better speakers that are not availible for PC's otherwise.

Edit: on second thought, you probably don't need a reciever at all, since your soundcard is gonna be doing all the positioning and decoding, you just need a good Amp?

Well here is the deal. Like I said, i wanted to REPLACE the old Promedia set with the new ULTRA. Ill sell the OLD one after its fixed. I did not wish to be without sound for a MONTH while the deal was out to service. Lastly,politely as possible; it my fucking money and I'll spend it anyway I wish.. .... Klipsch makes the best PC sound there is IMHO.... so I got a new set. And in case youre interested the sound from this new deal is awesome and better than the old deal, probably because the SUB is BIGGER and BADDER! Youre wrong too. The speakers in the ultra are slightly bigger and have updated technology, the center speaker is larger and the SUB is 15% bigger....not that all that matters. Im waiting to get the Creative X-Fi soundboard and then Ill be rockin.

I remember when I first bought the original PM 5.1's. I had read about some quality issues with them, so when I got them at Best Buy, I paid the extra $50 or so for a 4 year replacement plan. BEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE!

I had to return the set once for a dead sat. A year later, the amp died. I was then able to trade them in for the new Ultras (since they didn't make the PM's anymore). Over two years later the Ultras are still running fine and I love them. Just bought myself an SWS, too, so the Ultras are probably gonna be my setup for quite a while longer.

The best thing about the whole thing is that all I had to do was bring them to any best Buy with the receipt, instead of the whole shipping ordeal.

ehZn said:
I remember when I first bought the original PM 5.1's. I had read about some quality issues with them, so when I got them at Best Buy, I paid the extra $50 or so for a 4 year replacement plan. BEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE!

I had to return the set once for a dead sat. A year later, the amp died. I was then able to trade them in for the new Ultras (since they didn't make the PM's anymore). Over two years later the Ultras are still running fine and I love them. Just bought myself an SWS, too, so the Ultras are probably gonna be my setup for quite a while longer.

The best thing about the whole thing is that all I had to do was bring them to any best Buy with the receipt, instead of the whole shipping ordeal.

"Supposedly" There is a new Ultra Version coming soon it may be 7.1? :D or may not.. :D

Jasonx82 said:
"Supposedly" There is a new Ultra Version coming soon it may be 7.1? :D or may not.. :D
whoa for real? where you hear this? the klipsch forum? i might have to upgrade my old 5.1 if they do come out with one. :eek:

ehZn said:

My original 5.1 came from the OEM computer builder. I wish I had that option the first time. There wasnt even a BestBuy around when I bought the old set. You were smart!

I just got the extended warranty from Klipsch that they offered a while back on ALL Promedia sets for free, never had a problem. Not sure if that is still around though

Hard911 said:
there is no such thing of new Ultra or new 7.1 from Klipsch

On the Klipsch Forum, One of the klipsch Employee's is asking for feedback to see what they are looking for on a next set, etc...(any many people suspect it, because rebates on klipsch 5.1ultra, price drops to clear invetory etc..) but who knows.. Just heard thought i'd share :)

Hard911 said:
there is no such thing of new Ultra or new 7.1 from Klipsch
haha owned.

i figure its about time anyways. 5.1 been out along time, maybe throw in digital connection and stuff as i hate how they charge another $200 or whatever just to be able to use digital out.

Back