HELP-is this even possible?

Cereal Killer

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 14, 2006
Messages
272
A week ago there was a power surge in my house and two computers ended up with fried motherboards where they would start to boot into Windows and then simply reset. I built a replacement last night using some cheap, old parts and install Windows perfectly fine (it was plugged into the same surge protector and same outlet as one of the fried computers though) and when I go to install the wireless drivers, it shuts off mid install and now restarts every time I try to boot into Windows. Is it possible that the outlet I plugged the computer into is bad and fried another motherboard?
 
Are you using the same power supply? I would say the PSU would die before the motherboard.
 
try without the surge protector just to see if everything boots up correctly.. wont hurt not using the surge protect for a couple minutes.. if everything boots up fine then you know its the surge protector.. its possible when you got the surge it toasted the fuse in the surge protector so that when it hits a certain load its dying..
 
Back
Top