HELP! Is my TV-out broken?

LeviathanZERO

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 20, 2003
Messages
6,496
Is my TV-out broken?

This is an old Geforce3 Im using and I have used the TVout before (like years ago...) with the same results.
The problem is on the TV I get these 'bars' that scroll up the screen while its outputing. Its like those lines you see on a computer monitor when looking through a camcorder.

First thing I thought was interference. So I got a very good shielded Video cable from radio shack. Same results. I cant test it with another video card, cause the only other with TV-out died long ago.

I know its not the cable, cause PS2 and Xbox look perfect. Could the TV-out be fucked? or is there some overscan setting im missing? Heeelpp meeeee!

Visiontek Geforce 3 on a Athlon 1.2
 
I know my brother complained about his output from his gf3, so i know it has its share of problems. But i'd say the problem is more cable orientated as i've had that happen before when interference occurs. Even though you say you tried another cable, the radio shack cable might not be that great either. Also, the longer you run it the better shielding you'll need. I think s-video cables lose quality after 25'. I'm not sure as i haven't read that in a long time, but it's something to consider.

When i got the interference i knew it was because of my cable and once i replaced it with a high quality (and it came at a price) the picture became clear.

Another thing, you might want to recheck the connections and make sure they are pushed in all the way. I know the connection to my video card is bad and easily comes loose because of the design of the video card.
 
i know what you mean, but trust me its not the cable. I said radio shack, but its not house brand. Its extremely shielded, I made sure I got the strongest they had. (minus monster cable, what a ripoff.)
But yeah, I got the regular RCA hookups for the PS2 and Xbox, and this cable is much higher quality. Either way, I have another video cable that I tried, a regular VCR RCA just to test, and got the same results.

Not sure what to do. Im sure its not a sync thing, that doesnt make any sense. I hope the TV out isnt damaged, cause that means its been broken since day one. Should of tested everything when I bought this card....
 
i doubt it's a sync problem, at least one that is user controlled. The only way i think it would do that is if the video card didn't recognize the output to the tv. In which case, like you have been thinking the cards probably been broke since you got it.

And it wouldn't be too much to buy a new video card, not top of the line, but at least one with good video out.
 
Back
Top