Help! Is a netgear wndr3700v4 better than a asus RT-N65u?

mattycarroll

Weaksauce
Hi. I presently have a asus rt-n65u but am getting a new fibre connection and it comes with a free netgear WNDR3700V4 and i cant decide if its better or not. The WNDR3700V4 is a new chipset and gets very good reviews and actually has a faster processer than the asus rt-n65u but the asus is a 750 router, where as the netgear is a 600 router. I will mainly use it for 5ghz but very rarely for anything wireless, other than browsing on phones and ipad. My network is mostly gigabit wired and the main pc which i do everything on is hard wired. Im thinking as the netgear is a newer chipset with a slightly faster processer,the wired gigabit performance may be better than the asus? The asus got mixed reviews in its days but it has suited me perfectly but i dont need 2 routers and cannot decide which one to sell!
Any advice greatly appreciated. thanks.
link to asus router reviewed here:-
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...outer-reviewed

link to netgear review but not here so not as comprehensive:-
http://www.legitreviews.com/netgear-...er-review_2166

Probably would want the Asus RT-N65U more, but this day and age you don't have to look hard to find a decent Wireless Router. That Netgear model has been solid through out the versions. Pretty much all come fairly even at this point. I'd tend to go for the beefier hardware for purposes of future proofing Internet speeds and for third-party firmware which allows you to do a bunch of cool stuff.

People without really specific needs or who have no intention of changing default firmware don't really need to spend too much time choosing a router anymore.

WNDR3700v4 by far, supported in OpenWRT if you want to play around and plenty of flash (128Mbyte).
//Danne

The Asus has slightly slower SoC, less flash (16Mbyte vs 128Mbyte) and flakey open source support.
//Danne

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice. I was swaying towards the netgear so you have helped make up my mind.

Back