Help : Intel 975xbx2 / Q6600 overclock question

Merc187

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello all I have a Intel 975xbx2 with a q6600 go CPU
Does anyone know the setting on this MOBO to successfully
overclock the CPU to 3.0GHZ

Ram is corsair dominator 800mhz 5-5-5 18

I have never OC'd anything only know that
I should have a 9 multiplier with 334 bus which will make 3ghz.
I tried that but system boots and says there has been an unsuccessful post attempt and takes me back to the bios.

Any help would be appreciated.

Loads of info about settings to OC Q6600s in the Intel forum for sure...

#1 in my sig started out as a Q6600 and was always overclocked though I forget to what and what settings but it was never hard and never done on anything other than air cooling and the True 120 heatsink with decent thermal paste properly applied. Getting to where you can get the thermal paste on right and get the heatsink attached without screwing up the paste might take a couple of tries but once you get it down, that's the only even slightly tricky part.

Good luck! :)

PS - thanks for posting something for me to reply to that made me read my own sig lol. I'm still using #1 as my primary desktop machine and it's way out of date. I'll fix that now too. :)

PPS - ok my sig is fixed and I re-read your message. Intel branded 975 chipset mobo may not be the greatest for overclocking - search the forum I pointed to and you'll figure out if it is. If not, running it at stock isn't the worst thing to do - stick an SSD in it with a decent modern video card and you'll be amazed at the performance overclocked or not. I'm still using #1 daily and aside from 8GB being the max memory supported by the chipset, I don't feel like I'm missing much. It'd be fun to build a new desktop and I probably will sometime next year or so but it won't be because I need to do it - it'll be for the fun. :)

PPPS - ok fine, I searched Google since I couldn't find anything in the forum I pointed you to hah :)
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=d975xbx2+overclocking+Q6600

I'm done editing now. I swear.

Last edited:
Right now in the mem settings it shows
Reference frequency Default
Mem frequency. 800
Tcl. 5
Trcd. 5
Trp. 5
Trasmin. 18
Mem voltage 1.84

CPU settings
Multiplier 9
Host clock frequency 266
Voltage 1.3250

Enhanced power slope enabled

See, the thing is, when you crank up the FSB you also crank up the Memory Speed. I'd turn the Memory Frequency as low as it goes, then start bumping FSB. Once you hit the desired FSB, then start turning your Memory Frequency up. Most boards give you a Memory Multi or Ratio. theres nothing like that in your bios?

Mem only let's me change the
Ref frequency. 133, 200,266, 333 or default
Mem frequency 800, 667, 533, 400
I can change the 5-5-5-18 and mem. Voltage

Is there a jumper or something else that has to be changed to allow me to oc on the board?

Not that I know of, but I never used a 975xbx2. I'd change the Mem frequency down to 400, then start bumping the FSB. I'd leave the timings alone.

Is there a jumper or something else that has to be changed to allow me to oc on the board?

It wouldn't be a jumper thing, it'd be a software (BIOS) thing. This is where the particular motherboard matters - some offer more BIOS settings to tweak for overclocking than others. The first thread on that Google search I posted they were talking about various settings - seemed like a bit more than what you're saying you have. Might see if you're on the most recent BIOS available for the board and just doing that might open up some settings you currently don't have.

An ASUS 975 chipset board would have more options. The ABit IP35 Pro had loads - but ABit went out of business so I'm sort of on my own. The Intel 975 boards had the fewest overclocking options to start with as far as I know because at the time Intel wasn't all that receptive to things being overclocked.

Eh, the 975xbx2 was actually a pretty solid OC board for its time. Could usually hit well over 1600 mhz fsb on dual cores. Has abit more difficulty with quads as opposed to the 3 and 4 series chipsets. I have no doubt he could hit 1333fsb on that board though. Like I said, he's probably going too far with the ram. Q6600 G0 usually hit 3ghz with little to no voltage. It was the B3 q6600s that needed volts to get there. The Q6600 I have is a B3 and it hit 3.2 on my shit G45 board. The 975xbx2 is a far nicer board then the G45 in my wife's PC.

Again, by turning the memory down to minimum, you can find your max stable fsb for your cpu. Then start turning the ram up once you plateau on fsb.

thank you for the info guys
when I get home today I will try turning down the mem and see if the system will post.
I tired these settings yesterday and no post

VID: 1.375
MCH/ICH: 1.575
FSB: 334 MHz
Reference Frequency: 266 MHz
Memory Frequency: 667 MHz

As far as the Board goes, I built that system back in 2007 I believe and had dual HD4850's on it and it was pretty good.
& years later still running with no issues.
I added 4 GB ram to make it 8. $50
Changed the power supply to a corsair 650 $75
put a evga gtx550ti in it $65
and gonna put an SSD in it any day now.
For an everyday system for my kids, it is a stable system.
Just trying to get a couple more years out of it.

The 975x boards were not good overclockers for the Quad core chips.

I am pretty sure it will max out somewhere between 3.0 - 3.33Ghz with the Q6600 from my experience.

The 975x boards were not good overclockers for the Quad core chips.

I am pretty sure it will max out somewhere between 3.0 - 3.33Ghz with the Q6600 from my experience.

I hit 3.6Ghz (400 x 9) and FSB wall around 410 with a Q6600 G0 on an Asus P5B vanilla (965P) and it's rock stable although the VRM need some extra cooling. 975X should be able to do at least 3.6 (400 FSB) with that Q6600 unless the processor suffered from electromigration damage :D.

Back