Help Installing Ubuntu Server 6.06

tgabe213

2[H]4U
I am getting stuck here.

5 Configure The Network
Because the Ubuntu installer has configured our system to get its network settings via DHCP, we have to change that now because a server should have a static IP address. Edit /etc/network/interfaces and adjust it to your needs (in this example setup I will use the IP address 192.168.0.100):

vi /etc/network/interfaces

Code:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static        
address 192.168.0.100        
netmask 255.255.255.0        
network 192.168.0.0        
broadcast 192.168.0.255        
gateway 192.168.0.1

How do I physically go about editing this? I can overwrite the text that is in there by default, but how am I supposed to 'save' my settings per say?

INSTALL GUIDE

I then also get stuck on the step after that, not being able to get the name to display as it states. I am going to try again now (been a week or so) and I will be able to give more detailed explanations.

Are those settings (IP, subnet, etc) supposed to be displayed by default? I have all the text above that, then some blue/purple ish tilda's (~) covering the whole rest of the screen.

You could use nano instead of vi; exit is ctrl-x, and it will prompt you to save.

Ok this makes sense, but this seems to differ from the guide. It's asking me to give this a specific name. Is it supposed to be the etc/init.d/networking ?

I'm on page 4, and I'm now stuck at the portion where you install mysql.

"apt-get install mysql-server mysql-client libmysqlclient12-dev" is the code to run.

the error is

"....is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source
E: Package libmysqlclient12-dev has no installation canditate"

Back