Help Installing New Case Fans and Need Filter?

Mosie100

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone I just bought 5 new Corsair rgb 120 case fans for my old baby NZXT Source 210 (I bought the 3 pack and 2 solo).

Going to set it up like this
Front two 120mm for intake
Rear one 120mm for exhaust
Top two 120mm for exhaust
I decided against using one for the bottom because I didn’t want to mess with the PSU airflow...

I also have a cooler master hyper evo 212 rgb inside blowing directly into the heat sink towards the rear exhaust as recommended.

Anyways I guess first question is does that sound good?
Second question is should I purchase these fan dust air filters for at least the intake in the front because my case doesn't have any and my room gets hella dusty (carpet flooring)?

My PC rests on a stand 🙌

Attaching stock photos of Case below for reference.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice!!
View attachment nzxt 1.webp
View attachment nzxt 2.webp
View attachment nzxt 3.webp

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
that setup is fine, filter link is broke though. personally, i dont use filters as i prefer to not restrict airflow and clean a little more often.

that setup is fine, filter link is broke though. personally, i dont use filters as i prefer to not restrict airflow and clean a little more often.
Thanks! Just fixed link in original post and sharing here :)

So that’s a solid against getting filters?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I prefer not using fan filters either. They do restrict air flow, plus the get dirty/dusty really quick and start choking off flow. Once that starts to happen, the fan will want to work harder which will result in premature death of the fan. I tried using different filters types, including the woman's panty-hose which didn't really work.

I'm still using the stock case fan grills because I hate the look of not having them on the case. I just stay ontop of cleaning/dusting out a little more often like pendragon stated.

I'm still using the stock case fan grills because I hate the look of not having them on the case. I just stay ontop of cleaning/dusting out a little more often like pendragon stated.
I have one fan grill on the rear - is it a good idea to have them elsewhere ?

Wouldn't the first top fan just exhaust the cool air before it reaches the CPU/VRM area? I would skip the front top fan.

Really cool case BTW.

look into Magnetic Filters for the front. They're cheap, and much easier to clean.
I was looking at those and I've heard mixed things -- some of the magenetic filters easily come off and restrict air flow. Do you have any that you suggest besides the basic search on amazon?

Wouldn't the first top fan just exhaust the cool air before it reaches the CPU/VRM area? I would skip the front top fan.

Really cool case BTW.
Thanks! I read that it's just good to have as much air flow as possible so with the two in the front bringing in the cool air I figured it'll circulate everywhere with the three exhaust. Have you experienced otherwise?

I was looking at those and I've heard mixed things -- some of the magenetic filters easily come off and restrict air flow. Do you have any that you suggest besides the basic search on amazon?
DEMCiflex work pretty damned well.
Otherwise Silverstone or Thermaltake

Thanks! I read that it's just good to have as much air flow as possible so with the two in the front bringing in the cool air I figured it'll circulate everywhere with the three exhaust. Have you experienced otherwise?

It's just my theory. Haven't had a chance to test it. I'm probably overthinking it though. If you still have the fans behind the CPU, they will have to pull air from somewhere.

my old setup (took it apart a few hours ago) is setup similar to the way you want except I have an extra fan where your drive bays are.
If you are using a fan controller, you can set the top fans to run a bit slower, and have the front and rear fans run a bit faster so you get more flow through the case without sucking all your cooler air straight out the top.

IMG_5816.JPG

my old setup (took it apart a few hours ago) is setup similar to the way you want except I have an extra fan where your drive bays are.
If you are using a fan controller, you can set the top fans to run a bit slower, and have the front and rear fans run a bit faster so you get more flow through the case without sucking all your cooler air straight out the top.
Thanks so much for this info -- and really sweet setup! I'm definitely going to have the front and rear fans run faster. I'll post up photos when the setup is complete here. Should have all the fans in on Tuesday. Do me a favor though, don't judge my wire setup! It doesn't look anywhere near as clean as yours!
Do you have any opinion on the dust filters?

Filters are nice to have but you have to make sure to clean them often if you are in a dusty environment.
My Corsair 465X has 3 filters, one on the front, one on the bottom for the PSU, and one sitting on top.

I also just changed the setup in that case this morning as a matter of fact.
Stuck my old 4790k setup into it along with a new Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT cooler.

IMG_0236.JPEG

Filters are nice to have but you have to make sure to clean them often if you are in a dusty environment.
My Corsair 465X has 3 filters, one on the front, one on the bottom for the PSU, and one sitting on top.

I also just changed the setup in that case this morning as a matter of fact.
Stuck my old 4790k setup into it along with a new Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT cooler.
That is amazing. I love that cooler and the whole setup. That MOBO is sexy.

I think what I'm going to do is setup my fans and monitor the dust intake. If it's really bad after a week or two I will get filters, if not I'll leave them as is.

1 unrelated) question: How do you embed image like that in forum I always try with insert image and it just provides a link (sorry I'm still noob)

1 unrelated) question: How do you embed image like that in forum I always try with insert image and it just provides a link (sorry I'm still noob)
just copy/paste it or use insert image(ctrl+p). you can resize it by dragging the corners.

As I was dropping the image in I love how it literally said how to do this in front of my eyes. Wow I feel dumb! Hahaha
Here is my current work in progress setup (new fans come in Tuesday).
IMG_0034.jpg
And a short clip of the RGB for any enthusiasts out here

I would also second the comment about skipping the second top fan closer to the front of the case. It does indeed steal the cool intake air away from passing further back into the case and you are setting yourself up for a negative pressure setup with 3x out and 2x in.

I would also second the comment about skipping the second top fan closer to the front of the case. It does indeed steel the cool intake air away from passing further back into the case and you are setting yourself up for a negative pressure setup with 3x out and 2x in.
That's really interesting. If I lower the speed on the second top fan closer to the front would that solve the negative pressure though? Obviously I care about temp more than anything but aesthetically I'd prefer to have two on top if I can make it work and work well.
Zepher pendragon1 any thoughts on this? :)

That's really interesting. If I lower the speed on the second top fan closer to the front would that solve the negative pressure though? Obviously I care about temp more than anything but aesthetically I'd prefer to have two on top if I can make it work and work well.
Zepher pendragon1 any thoughts on this? :)

Well after looking at your case i would day it would be less of a concern than with a case with 3x front where one of the top intakes is higher up on the front so maybe don't worry about it. You can always set it up how you like and then monitor temps and play around with it to see what works best for your particular case.

Back