• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help Installing my first SATA Hard Drive

Ladic

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
1,232
First of all my Motherboard is:

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

The Hard Drive is:

http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...t_code=338173&Pn=Caviar_SE16_250GB_Hard_Drive



So I plug in the Hard Drive, move the jumper in the Motherboard.

And it still doesn't recognize the HD on the Bios.

When I start up the PC, if I dont press anything


it will say what HD I have and give me the option to configure the Raid:

I go to this screen:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/5283/raidfy3.jpg



But, when I put my WindowsXP disc and boot up it says there are no Hard Drives installed.


Can someone help me? I've never installed a HD before, much less a Sata HD.
 
Since your using the raid part of your motherboard, you'll have to supply XP with drivers before it can see the HD during the install. Hit F6 during install (it will prompt for you to it F6 at the bottom during the initial boot) and it will prompt you later on to insert a floppy with the drivers for the raid (which you'll probably have to make).
 
yeah, i kinda read that somewhere else, but how do I make the floppy with the drivers? that part I dont know.
 
ok, made bootdisc, installed windows xp, but It is not recognized by the bios, so only way to get into windows right now is to have cdrom as first boot and hd as second boot.
But when I plug in my second hd, I cant start windows.
 
Can we clarify that you are using only one hard drive? How did RAID come into the discussion?

Now what you may have done is plugged your drive into a RAID port on your motherboard, but you can't have a RAID with one drive.

Do you have 4 SATA ports on your mobo? Two each of different colors? (You more than likely do. My A8N is like that. 2 black and 2 red for RAID IIRC.rtfm) Plug it into one of the OTHER colored ones.

What jumper did you move on the motherboard?
 
Yeah if it's not seen in BIOS, windows will def not see it with all the drivers in the world.

You need to enable something in bios or else change a jumper of some sort. Looked at the manual?
 
I only see 2 ports in the HD, Raid 1 and Raid 2 ports.

Y pluged in my HD to Raid 1.

But I dont see any other ports to hook em up.
 
It's not in the bios, it's in the raid configuration screen that you posted a shot of. Select delete raid set and when that's done select create raid set. Then install Windows, don't forget the raid driver.
 
ok, what I did now was set the first start up to SCSI and that seems to make it all work normal now, It boots up the sata drive and lets me have the eide as backup.

But still, everytime I start windows it gives me that option to press CTRL + S go to that screen I posted I just have to wait and it keeps on loading to windows.
Is there a way to get rid of it?
 
So you aren't building a raid set, you're just adding a second hard drive, correct?

If so go into the bios and disable the onboard raid controller, you wont see the message at boot anymore.
 
aye, but where in the bios do I find this, ive search and no dice.
 
Back
Top