Help in adding a network printer......

tgg

[H]ard|Gawd
Im sharing/networking a brother printer on a win xp pc and 7 subway locations in my town. All the pc's are all connected the same at each store location, meaning the 2 pc's in question are on the same router n such.

So theres 2 pc's im dealing with inside the store, theres the one in back office area which has the brothers printer connected to a win xp pc locally, and then 1 POS point of sale pc up front where you and me get ringed up when we see them touching the touch screen to ring us up. So its just a basic pc with a POS softwware they load up from with Win xp.

Out of the 7 stores 5 went without hitch this is what I did:

Pc in back ofice with local brother printer simply went in printers panel and right click and just enabled printer sharing, and the little icon sharing hand went onto printer.

Then POS upfront pc went into basic add printer and browsed for network printers and saw the brothers printer in there and added no promblems.

Of course both pc's are matching the name of the workgroup.

So does anyone know what thing to try within win xp to get the 2 location store of the upfront POS pc to see the brothers network printer when adding?

When I go to the part after selecting browse for network printers I do see the name of the pc in back office with the brothers printer, its just the actaul brothers printer name wont show up on that list for me to select and add it? Thanks

is the firewall on the PC in the back office turned on?

Good thought I think? No I havent checked that. So the built in win xp firewall I should see if its enabled right? Thanks

What if you manually type in the printer address? Like \\pcname\printersharename

Good thought I think? No I havent checked that. So the built in win xp firewall I should see if its enabled right? Thanks

If it's enabled I would disable it to see if that fixes it. After that you can either leave it disabled OR re-enable it and find out what ports or exceptions you need to open on the Windows XP firewall. (If that's possible.. I forget a lot about XP)

Ok again out of the 9 subway locations I went to in the past 2 days 3 I couldnt add the network printer from the POS upfront pc.

The POS and pc in the back are the same workgroup name, I tried typying the printer address dont work.

Anyone have any other ideas? Will a cleanup and tuneup in windows xp help? When I do a cleanup/tuneup on windows I usually tweak windows a little disable some animations and stuff to make it run better, then use msconfig, then cleanup windows with ccleaner and tuneup utilities programs.

You think this might fix it? I need some netowrk admins help here what other things to do thanks.

Back