Help identify Socket A motherboard

mnewxcv

[H]F Junkie
I am trying to identify a socket A motherboard. Noteworthy features are 4 dimm slots instead of the usual 3, and it has onboard SATA. I'm sure some of you Gurus will be able to help! I was thinking it was nforce 2 ultra 400 based but I can't find a single photo of the same board anywhere.

2.jpg
1.jpg

It is definitely an ASUS board, I'd recognize that puke yellow PCB and 45 degree chipset anywhere.

Many of their boards had stick on labels with the model number on them, which can peel off.

Whoever bought that got a killer deal, people want stupid money for those old 462 motherboards. I looked up my A7N8X and they're going for $150 a pop, yeesh.

It is definitely an ASUS board, I'd recognize that puke yellow PCB and 45 degree chipset anywhere.

Many of their boards had stick on labels with the model number on them, which can peel off.

Whoever bought that got a killer deal, people want stupid money for those old 462 motherboards. I looked up my A7N8X and they're going for $150 a pop, yeesh.
Yeah, I think the nforce2 boards are worth a bit more, and it seemed they were always higher demand than the via boards even at the time. But regardless, still a good option to build a retro machine.

VIA boards had a lot of compatibility issues, especially with hard drives. The 8237 South Bridge had a bug where it refused to detect SATA II drives and you had to jumper them to SATA150 mode.

On the other hand, the majority of ASUS boards had high failure rates due to shitty capacitors. I used to recap them by the dozen back in the day, and my A7N8X is no different, it required a complete recap. MSI by far had the fewest issues with capacitors, all of my Socket 462 MSI boards have held up well without any issues.

Man, almost makes me want to sell all my socket A boards...but not quite yet. Have a ton of Abit and Asus ones.

lucky lol. maybe my 5 dollar pc chips board might be worth selling in another 10 years :p. only socket A board i have left, all the abit boards i had died years ago.

Nice I had that same case back in the day. I believe it was a $40 computer show special that came with a deer power supply. I liked the Pac-man shaped power button

lucky lol. maybe my 5 dollar pc chips board might be worth selling in another 10 years :p. only socket A board i have left, all the abit boards i had died years ago.

abit boards weren't known for their reliability. I have one Socket 939 board from them and it always has had trouble. I think they had issues with the capacitor plague in their Socket 462 boards, but that is fixable with a recapping.

Back