• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HELP! I Need a New Video Card!

Till

n00b
2FA
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
41
Ok, a few questions. Thanks for the help in advance by the way!

I am looking to purchase a Radeon card possibly a 9600 or a 9800.

I am a broke college student also an RA (Resident assistant with all my money going towards tuition) So I don't have much of a budget.

I Absolutely do not want to spend more than $150-200 thats pushing it for me.

Right now my sys specs are ~ If you need anything else just ask! :)
Pentium 2.4 Ghz
Corsair 1024 RAM
Geforce 4 64 mb MX 440

I found these so far tell me which one is best or suggest something better please!
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-320&depa=0

Quick Question on these two ~ will the 128 mb DDR more make a huge difference?
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-164-021&DEPA=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-164-022&depa=0

Are these better than a 9800 Pro?
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-102-326&DEPA=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-335&depa=0

Anyone Trust Newegg's refurbished stuff? If so I would get this...
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-268R&type=Refurbish

Finally Should I just go with this? Though I really DON'T want to spend this much unless it is REALLY worth it!
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-268&depa=0

Thanks a lot in advance guys! Please help!
 
Refurbs are always an iffy prospect. You'll save $50, but check out all the warnings neweggs put out there for refurbs...

Newegg.com does not test any product, including refurbished items. Refurbished components are therefore only tested by the original manufacturer. Due to the varying quality of manufacturer testing, YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING REFURBISHED PRODUCTS. Refurbished items are OPEN BOX products that contain components that have previously been owned by other clients and returned to Newegg.com. These products are sold considerably under cost.

You never know what you're getting...

I would spend the extra $50 and get a new 9800 pro...it will last you much longer than the 9600 and is well worth the extra $$$.
 
I would get the $197 9800 Pro.

The prices are coming down on them and in another month or so you might get an even better deal.

I would check the FS (for sale forum) before I bought a refurb item.

I bought a refurb'd ti4200 from Newegg and it was broken. It could boot up, but it had the
"Matrix" effect, as I've heard people call it. scrambled green letters randomly around the screen.

Anyway, I was pissed had to pay like shipping and restock fee or something. Cost me like $20 to get a crappy card and have to send it back. And they didnt have any replacements.
 
i think that u should give a try on ebay...i got some great items from there and the prices r awesome..with that money u deffo get a 9800 pro (which can0t compare to the 9600,way better).
If u want i can search for u on ebay...cheers
 
I'll check e-bay, but like I said $150-200 is pushin it for me. So what I really want to know is what is the best deal on a 9800 pro? or 9600xt? Those are the two I am looking at. Thanks!
 
Yeah a 9700 pro at $130 is a good deal...it's hella faster than the 9600xt and not that much slower than a 9800 pro.
 
its refurbished though, which goes back to the risky factor? You guys think its a good idea? It's Crucial so its got some backing...What do you guys think?
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Till said:
its refurbished though, which goes back to the risky factor? You guys think its a good idea? It's Crucial so its got some backing...What do you guys think?

Definatly safer than Ebay.
 
Ordered the 9700 Pro guys thanks A LOT for the help! You guys ROCK!
 
diablo111 said:
Yeah a 9700 pro at $130 is a good deal...it's hella faster than the 9600xt and not that much slower than a 9800 pro.
Actually, I thought that it was dead in between the preformances of the 9600XT and 9800pro.
 
Back
Top