Help, I got robbed

majikman

Weaksauce
My friend owns a PC cafe and today, about 6 guys came in and stole 11 of the computers and in the process, stabbed another one of my friends and tied up one of the customers. My friends ok though and the customer didn't get hurt. But I would really like to be able to track down those computers and especially find those assholes. So, here is what I want to do. If I have the mac addresses of the nics, is it possible to find any information about where those computers would be physically located? I once read that a guy got his notebook back by doing that but I don't know how he did it. If anyone can provide me with some insight, that'd be great. Thanks.

The MAC address is not routable. So if the NICs are not on the same network as you, there's probably nothing you can do about it.

the only thing I can say is to look into some locator software like they use in laptops sometimes. I have not tried them out, but it works on the basis of it is a hidden program "phoning home" and thus if the PC gets on the net again it will contact you. I am not sure if these survive a format though.

deuce868 said:
the only thing I can say is to look into some locator software like they use in laptops sometimes. I have not tried them out, but it works on the basis of it is a hidden program "phoning home" and thus if the PC gets on the net again it will contact you. I am not sure if these survive a format though.

Yeah they are, otherwise they'd be useless.

Yes, these softwares do survive a format.

Been using this company for our protection.

www.computrace.com

It ends up being so cheap that we just grab it with the lease.

Sorry to hear about this. Where did this happen? Is there a news story online we can read?

it happened the morning of 06/07/04. no news stoty and i really doubt there will be one. my friend said that there haven't been any news agencies trying to get in contact with him. thanks for the linkage darthkim.

sounds like time to put out a [H]it on some bitches that stole your shit :D

/me grabs his potato gun

Yeah time to get some hard, pipe-hittin' g33ks to go to work on homes with a blowtorch and a pair of pliers.

Back