HELP! I bought the legal version from Best Buy and it wont run!

collegeboy69us

Supreme [H]ardness
Okay here is the deal... woke up early, and ditched class to go get doom3, GOT IT!

Race home doing about 85mph (i live in the country, bleh) install it, first time i try to run it, I get the error :

"Cannot Locate Doom3 Disk 1 -- Please Insert Doom3 disc 1 select OK and restart application"

WTF!!

I emailed activision support, of course I got nothing back (this was 5 hours ago) I heard about the probs people were having with CD burning/Emulation software.

I uninstalled Alcohol 120%, do i HAVE to uninstall nero? please advise on what to do. What really pisses me off i have the LEGAL version to play and to get my fix immediately i had to go get a No-CD crack to temporarily play. This wont work for when i wanna get some multiplayer action going.

All help and ideas are greatly appreciated

Jeff

sounds like your cdrom took a shit
then again your os could have taken a shit on your cdrom
hehe
to many troubleshooting problems to list :D

I had this problem with FarCry. I had to start windows in safe mode, copy the cd to the hard drive, reboot in normal mode and install from the hard drive. Once it was installed I could run FarCry fine.

no, tried both a manual install in copying the cDs to the hard drive.... still gives me the same damn error

I uninstalled Alcohol 120, Nero, DiscJuggler... and it STILL does this. I cant play multiplayer till i fix this stupid ass problem

please help

Jeff

well, i took a chance and installed it on another box i have laying around just to see what it would do... this is a crappy ass 1.6Ghz celeron and like an all in wonder 7500 or something...

it worked, I double clicked the icon after install and it launched the game, of course it gave me an error about the video card not supporting the correct functions. But the point is, it worked, so its not a faulty CD

I have already gotten the no-cd crack and have been playing single player, however I wannna get this thing working for real so i can mess with multiplayer soon.

PLEASE someone i need ideas, on how to get this thing working. I have a fresh format (about 4 days old) all the updates, latest drivers. please help me

Jeff

Did you do clean install without installing nero alcohol and the like, maybe there are leftovers in the registry that doom detects.
Try using some registry cleaner of some sort.

Else try and pop in the cd drive from your crappy ass 1.6ghz.

Is the drive on your main PC a burner or just a normal cdrom drive? I'd honestly just take the cdrom out of your other PC and try that. I've had drives crap out on me before and spent hours trying to do other things...

As long as you have a legit cd key it doesn't matter if you use a no cd crack. You can play multiplayer just fine.

For what it's worth, I ran into this same problem when trying to install Doom3 as well. Same BS message about CD/DVD Emulation software. Reminded me of the same crap I ran into with Painkiller. My solution to both was to just install a no-cd crack. Actually makes life easier since I don't have to put the CD in the drive just so they can verify I'm not using pirated software... especially since their anti-pirate software doesn't appear to work correctly with some other piece of software I'm using.

Only CD burning programs I have are Nero 5.5 and Clone CD 4. Neither one is in my startup or has anything running in background. To be honest, I'm not going to jack around with their registry entries just to play a damn game. I've got the feeling it's Nero and something its set in the registry. Never had this problem with other id games.

Can anyone else having this problem tell us if you're running Nero also?

Oh and for the guy saying it's probably just crap CD/DVD drives... I doubt it. My DVD drive is a Pioneer, CD player is a Plextor. I tried installing from both.

I had the exact same problem. "Cannot Locate Doom3 Disk 1 -- Please Insert Doom3 disc 1 select OK and restart application" I am really aggrevated with it. I'd much rather use the actual .exe than the no-cd crack; however, if I have to use it to play the game, then sobeit.

I have Nero installed - that's the only application I can think of that is interfering with this. But I'm sure that most people who have Doom installed also have Nero. Thoughts?

nero, alchohol 120%, daemon tools, clone cd, and any other form of software similar will give you errors, even when they are only installed, the only way around this as far as I can tell is to get a no cd crack. And as long as you bought the game and have a valid cd key that came with it its perfectly legal and you should be able to play online just fine.

Alright, Activision e-mailed me back and said they do not have a fix for it. If you guys come across anything, please let us know! :)

My computer actaully had a problem reading disc 2. It just wouldn't read in either of my drives (samsung dvd and TDk dvd+/-RW).
What I did was to focus all the rage in my dark heart towards the computer and told it that if it fucked this up, I was going to tear it apart and go intel...
I guess it got the message, cus I rebooted and it worked fine...

Go to www.gamecopyworld.com and download the reloaded exe crack. Rename your original doom3.exe to something like doom3.exeold and then extract the new crack to your install directory. The crack is nothing but a edited doom3.exe that will let you run the game. When a patch comes out delete the cracked exe and rename the doom3.exeold back to doom3.exe

There's another way to get the game to install that may work for you. On the cd's copy the contents of the x:/setup/data/ folders to your doom3 folder then try to run the game. You might still need the no cd crack but worth a try.

Good Luck :)

I have nero installed on my machine and DOOM 3 installed and plays just fine. Just use a No-Cd crack. As long as you own the game and have a valid CD key it is ethical. It might not be legal, but nobody will charge you for how you use a legally purchased game.

I've got Nero and daemon tools installed and D3 installed and works just fine. :D

S1nF1xx said:
I've got Nero and daemon tools installed and D3 installed and works just fine. :D

yeah its kinda werid some people have problems with those tools, and others dont, I wonder if its OS related

thanks all for the replies... sucks that some of us have problems like that due to activision being a dick about the CD protection. I just downloaded the no cd...

thanks all

The problem is that it primarily only affects the legitimate users. The warez users find a way around it with hackz and crackz. So its the legit consumer that gets screwed. The warez users don't care. They have their way of cracking the security

works the same way with gun control.
"Banning firearms will only disarm the innocent." The criminals don't care. They have their illegal means of aquiring guns

it seems to be one of the following tools either MagicISO or DVD Decryptor.

I had Nero installed and a few other Tools before I installed and Ran DOOM3 and I had no problems, but since I installed MagicISO and DVD Decryptor I'm getting the same reatarded msg.

Edit: I've done a little research and I seemed to find a good fixer which fixed up my problem and now my legit copy of DOOM3 works :D

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/search.asp

And Finally there is this helpful piece of advice :
CD/DVD Emulation Software has been detected.

Question
When I launch the game I get the error "CD/DVD Emulation Software has been detected."

Answer
If you have the CD burning software Alcohol 120% installed you need to turn off all of the emulation options.
1) Go to File > Options.
2) Click on Emulation in the menu to the left.
3) Uncheck all options in the window to the right.
If you have CloneCD you need to turn off the Hide CDR media setting. This setting is accessable from the task tray icon for clone CD. Right-click on the icon and uncheck Hide CDR media.
Hold down the left shift key when inserting the game disc.
Make sure you have 32 bit drivers for your CD-ROM drive.
Set the CD-ROM cache size to zero.
Change the DMA setting on the CD-ROM drive.
Make sure the drive letters for the CD-ROM is set correctly.
Make sure that the location for CD music to play is set correctly.
Make sure your system can successfully play Audio CD's.
Turn off Auto Insert Notification.

Number 3 worked for me, hiding the cdrmedia under CLONECD, which didn't have an effect on my DOOM3 before, but it seems that it does now for some odd reason.

Back