HELP! I bought a Dell, lol

seanarends

n00b
Hey guys and gals,
Got a few questions. So I bought a new dell: windows 7, intel core i7, great graphics card, etc. So when I bought this thing, about three months ago, it was awsome! I was streaming vid, backing up my computer, and runing a security scan without a single hickup in the vid. Now I cant even stream a video from the SWTOR website without waiting for it to load first. So I was also having problems accessing the Army Knowledge Online website to check my emails and decided to call Dell to give me some support, long story short I wasnt getting any help without shelling out $500.

So with all that out of the way... While the tech support guy was on my computer he uploaded a program called iyogi and ran a scan for problems, I just bougt the freaking thing and it said I had over 2500 junk files on my computer!! And yes I do have Mccafee security.

So to my question, is there really a true working program that I can buy that will isolate my junk files and allow me to delete them so that I can increase my comp's speed, and maintain it?

If you guys could give me some suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

S. Arends

P.S. I hope this post is being put in the right place, dont be too harsh I am not the most comp savy guy lol!

ccleaner. free and works great. install, click analyze, then run cleaner.

it will find 1000's of files of worthless crap.

+1 for CCleaner.
You should also do a defrag. While you're on CCleaner's website (company called Piriform), grab their free defragger called Defraggler and run that as well. Technically Win7 has a scheduled defrag so you really shouldn't have to run any defrag on-demand....but Defraggler is a much better defrag than the one built into Windows.

Last edited:
You know, I was wondering that shortly after I put this post up. Why doesnt Windows 7 have it programmed in to catch these junk files? Alright I will go and check it out and have it done. Thanks for the help guys.

Your first step should be to get rid of that mcaffee crap and put something else on it (li,e security essentials).

So I did all u guys suggested to both my wife's comp and mine and here is what I want to do next. I want to go in and delete all the crap that dell downloaded on my computer before they sent it to me. I use the computer for web surfing, school, playing SWTOR (when it comes out), and all the microsoft school and home stuff. Anything else I obviously use I want to keep and I have the common sense to keep it there, but is there a website listing that explains what programs you actually have to keep to keep the system running? If you guys know of anywhere I can look or have a bought a dell recently and know of what stuff is useless and could let me know I would appreciate it. Especially programs like Roxio, Nero, Sync, Dell Data Safe, do i really need any of this stuff if I have Windows Media?

+1 for CCleaner.
You should also do a defrag. While you're on CCleaner's website (company called Piriform), grab their free defragger called Defraggler and run that as well. Technically Win7 has a scheduled defrag so you really shouldn't have to run any defrag on-demand....but Defraggler is a much better defrag than the one built into Windows.

have proof of that since it is based on diskkeeper the one built it...

have proof of that since it is based on diskkeeper the one built it...

while I can't (currently) speak for WIn7's built-in defrag, if it's essentially the same as the one in XP/Server 2003, it certainly sucks.

I can run the Windows defrag 3 times in a row, and it says it's not fragmented. I then start up Defraggler, and it shows a bunch of fragmented files.

it prob does the nicer job like older defrag did moving boot files and stuff.

It's also a lot faster.

I thought the "Defraggler > all other defraggers" was a general consensus sort of thing (at least around here)? :confused:

I use it because it's faster and it has more options, like moving the boot files.

Back