HELP! Hooking up router to a switch

mdoyle

n00b
I have a cable modem that goes directly into a 5-port gig netgear switch, I then have one computer hooked up to the switch(I can get onto the web fine with this one) then I have the my wireless router hooked into another port on the switch, problem is, for the life of Me, I can't get the wireless to want to work. Can you guys offer any advice for me, possible how to get into to manage the switch or what settings I need to change on the router. I assume I need to set it up on a static IP, but how am I suppose to do that if I cant log in and tell the switch that.

ANY help would be appreciated as I have been racking my brains out over this for a couple of days, or is this even possible?

Thanks!

Mike :D

Assuming the wireless router is actually a router and not just a wireless access point, connect the cable modem to the router's WAN/internet port. Then connect the switch to one of the router's switched ports if it has them (vast majority of wireless routers have them). Any wired PCs can now connect to any of the available ports. You can also tell us specifically which router do you have so we can help you better.

But yeah, what you are doing isn't possible. Without going into explaining a bit about network fundamentals, I'd suggest you read your router's instruction manual about connecting devices.

Router is a ASUS RT-N56U

and you have it the wrong way around, I am trying to do cable modem----->switch-------> wireless router

Last edited:
Router is a ASUS RT-N56U

and you have it the wrong way around, I am trying to do cable modem----->switch-------> wireless router

Your doing it the wrong way. You need to go Modem --> Asus Router --> Switch.

OP, the only way you could hook up the switch first, then your router and PC behind it, is if your ISP provided you with two or more IP addresses. They most likely only are giving you one via DHCP. Whichever device is turned on first (the router, or your PC) will pull that IP address. The other one will not receive an IP and thus not be able to talk on the ISP's network.

AeonF1 is correct, in that the correct method is to hook up your router first. If you need more port space than your router provides, then you can hook your switch directly to any of the router's four switch ports.

If you are trying to provide services to the internet from your PC, you will need to reconfigure the router to forward the needed ports to your PC's LAN IP.

Router is a ASUS RT-N56U

Then why did you ask if you know the answer???

Unless you have for example the switch in my signature, which can be a router, and cost about $5900.00 just for the switch you cant do this your way.

For the gear you are running you MUST with out question do the following:

Cable modem, Router WAN. Switch, all your PC's. There is a reason a router is called a router and a switch is called a switch. A switch does not route and a router does not switch.

More than likely you have a 4 port switch built into your router. YOur router is what take the data from the internet and then converts it to data on your network. Without this you would need your ISP to assign an individual public IP address to each device on your network. And you CAN do this if you are willing pay for a business contract subscription and whatever each public IP cost individually or as a block. I am not going to tell you not to do this but I am going to tell you that if you are on a residential connection there is only one way you can achieve success.

What you are doing is like trying to build a bicycle where the pedals are your handlebars and the tires are where your seat is. You have all the right parts but you need to put them in the right order.

Back