Help Help!!!

V4oLDbOY

Gawd
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
739
Ok so I attempted to reterminate my headphones today.

the cable coming out of my headphones has 3 colors gold, red, and blue. There is a whites sort of fiber covered with metal wires. Which part is the connection, the white center?

Which one is left right ect..

I am fearing I broke my headpones since I put the wrong color on something and ect...

Can I break the headphones with an ipod if I connected it wrong?

Please HELP!!!
 
You can break the iPod with the headphones if you connect it wrong...

The white crap with the wires around it sounds like shielding. Thin wires crossing repeatedly in sort of a diamond pattern?

Usually blue is left, red is right. Odd man out would be ground. BUT...there's nothing stopping them from doing it some other arrangment. The only real thing to do for it is to mimic the original wiring.

Also, this is why you're supposed to be using a DMM.
 
The ipod works fine I tried with other headphones.

The cable coming out of my headphones has 3 wires. There look like a bunch of thin wires twisted, but inside of the twisted wires are a lot of very thin fibers (whiteish color) that are also spun. I've tried touching every combination of colors, wires to the connector I bought and cant get anything. When I originally set it up I could get some audio out of the left earpiece if I messed with the wires I soldered, but nothing now.

So I can break the headphones by connecting the wrong cords and such?
 
Mixing up left and right will do nothing but reverse your channels. Mixing up ground can make things go boom.

I got the L/R colors off a set of Sony MDR-v6. I'm just assuming it matches. :D
 
really? someone on another forum just told me that I couldn't break the drivers that way. I am confused...
 
It's hard to break the drivers that way. Depending on how you do it, you can short things together that are never meant to meet without meaningful resistance between them on the iPod side, causing all the magic smoke to escape from the microchips (well, some of them - how many depends on the circuit and on their fail states), at which point it will be a very pretty paperweight.

A DMM would solve all this. Crappy ones can be had for very cheap. Failing that, can you build an oscillator that creates a pulse in the low kilohertz?
 
well i'm judging this by car audio..which i probably shouldn't...my first rookie mistake was exactly mixing up the ground wire with a different wire..and doing that it fried the amp and send some spikes to the component speakers the amp was hooked up too and fried those too..
 
The ipod works fine I tried it with different headphones.

What does a dmm do exactly?
 
nevermind, they are ok now. turned out they were enamel coated so i scrapped that off and they work now.
 
DMM = digital multimeter = measures lots of things. Voltages, amperage, whether diodes work...if you're doing much electronics, you need one.
 
Back
Top