HELP, Help.... static electricity is killing my HTPC

kmanuel

Weaksauce
I have this case for my htpc
11-119-072-01.JPG

Since Fall came, I'm getting a lot of static shock when ever I touch the case. The machine would just freeze and I would have to restart. A few minutes ago I touched it to take out a dvd and computer just shut off. This this is getting very bad. How can I stop static shock from distroying my system????? Is there a mod for the case or can I buy some type of spray or mat to protect it??
HELP, HELP, HEP

sorry about the hugh pic...

kmanuel said:
I have this case for my htpc
11-119-072-01.JPG

Since Fall came, I'm getting a lot of static shock when ever I touch the case. The machine would just freeze and I would have to restart. A few minutes ago I touched it to take out a dvd and computer just shut off. This this is getting very bad. How can I stop static shock from distroying my system????? Is there a mod for the case or can I buy some type of spray or mat to protect it??
HELP, HELP, HEP

sorry about the hugh pic...

Your owning neweggs bandwidth....

But on a seperate note, what kind of PSU is it? Is the PSU touching the metal on the inside of the case (is there any type of insulation in between it and the case is what I mean)? Are you using a properly grounded outlet? Extension cord with the third prong cut off?

The case isn't grounded for one reason or another... i'd recommend to check what he suggested.

It is a Macron Power psu. It one of those smaller type psu's not the regular case size (it came with the case). There is no insulation between the case and the power supply. I using a Belklin Surge Master 2 power strip. The protected and grounded light are on and the power cable to the psu has a ground pin.

Um... its obviously not grounded somehow though. Work your way from the wall to the PC and try to find any point of failure. Try different outlets in the house, try different power cables, try it without the surge protector... try a different PSU?

Static shock from a dry climate this time of year? I shock myself on everything metal I touch since it's so dry this time of year here.

If it's just that PC, you probably have a bad ground or failing PSU.

there shouldnt be shock if it's properly grounded. Take a ground wire and tape it to a bare metal part of the case. If it stops the psu isn't properly grounded and you should contact where you bought it from/coolermaster

I have that same case for my HTPC, but I have no problems with getting shocked. You should check all the things the other posters have said.
Also, I've heard it said that you can get a shock from plugging the cable into the TV tuner. Maybe there's something wrong here, with the cable touching the case too? Perhaps someone else can shed more light on that.

Waffles730 said:
I have that same case for my HTPC, but I have no problems with getting shocked. You should check all the things the other posters have said.
Also, I've heard it said that you can get a shock from plugging the cable into the TV tuner. Maybe there's something wrong here, with the cable touching the case too? Perhaps someone else can shed more light on that.

That could be very well possible if hes using the old fashioned twist cable wire. The head of the cable wire is probably touching the metal of the tuner card which is transfering through the case. Maybe try unscrewing the cable a bit to the point it doesnt touch and see what happens.

kmanuel said:
It is a Macron Power psu. It one of those smaller type psu's not the regular case size (it came with the case). There is no insulation between the case and the power supply. I using a Belklin Surge Master 2 power strip. The protected and grounded light are on and the power cable to the psu has a ground pin.
There is [one of] your problem. Even if the lights are on, they are notoriously faulty for not reporting properly. Tell me: black or grey model?

Also: did you overtighten motherboard screws?

Try bending (carefully!) the center pin in the PSU off a little to the side. Then, if possible, try another power cable. The bent pin (slightly bent, remember) is to ensure the third pin is properly touching the power cable. Then, try taping a grounding wire (really, any ~18/16G wire should work) from a bare part of the PSU to a bare part of the case.

I am surprised that nobody has recomended checking the outlet that the PC is plugged into to see if the outlet is defective or improperly grounded.

Ya,

this question gets asked every so often in the psu forum. Can't remember why it happens but i believe it had to do with the wiring in the actual home, not just the outlet. OP normally i wouldn't recommend that you crosspost, but maybe take your question over to the psu forum.

sabrewolf732 said:
there shouldnt be shock if it's properly grounded. Take a ground wire and tape it to a bare metal part of the case. If it stops the psu isn't properly grounded and you should contact where you bought it from/coolermaster
That's not correct.

and the original poster needs to pick up his danged feet when he walks.

Back