|HELP| HDD cariage screw stripped, won't budge?

Maybe a little off topic, I don't know, maybe you guys encounter this often, maybe not as your installing the disks yourselves, I didn't in this case I ordered my rig three years ago.

Anyway, three of the four HDD carriage screws came out fine, but one is stripping to my Philips, it has a bit of a lock left in it but it is really light and hasn't budged yet. I tried screwing back in the other three, thinking it might releave some pressure off this last one to no avail. Any ideas on how to lossen it?
/Thanks.

peace,

i3lueHorneT said:
Maybe a little off topic, I don't know, maybe you guys encounter this often, maybe not as your installing the disks yourselves, I didn't in this case I ordered my rig three years ago.

Anyway, three of the four HDD carriage screws came out fine, but one is stripping to my Philips, it has a bit of a lock left in it but it is really light and hasn't budged yet. I tried screwing back in the other three, thinking it might releave some pressure off this last one to no avail. Any ideas on how to lossen it?
/Thanks.

peace,

cooling it down would loosen it, due to the metal contracting.
I guess that'd only be an option if your case is in an AC/d room.

Is there some air cooliant/comperssed can spray I could use? That would need to be one hell of an AC'd room wouldn't it?
/Thanks.

peace,

Well, compressed air will cool due to expansion, so that might work. Or if you're feeling adventurous, pour ice water on it (carefully, and not while it's in your case or plugged in!) and that might help. You might dremel the head of the screw flat on two sides (think (=) ) and then you could turn it with pliers or something.

Also, if your screwdriver is wearing out (the edges of the blade should be straight, not bowed inward) it might work better with a new one.

I encounter this almost every day at work, I just use some pliers or needle nose (something with teeth in it's jaws) and grab onto the head and twist it out. Failing that I just drill it out till the head falls off, or one those rare occasions I find my Ez-Out, use it.

Alright, well I've tried a can of compressed air, got the surface of the metal cold to the touch, not enough to loosen it any. I don't have or have access to a dremel tool and don't have the right type of pliers to grip the head without it being 'squared off'.

Its not a big deal as it is, just fills up the one slot is all, the drive itself is failing its diagnostic test SEE THIS [H] THREAD so it'll just have to sit there for now.

Ez-Out being the utility knife? Glad to hear it's common, takes the edge of a bit.

Is it possible to purchase the carriage separate of the case? Ideas where?
/Thanks.

peace,

An E-Z out is one of these. The theory is you drill a hole down the center of a screw, then thread this thing into the hole and twist it so that the screw comes out. I don't know if they make them small enough for computer screws, though. The one linked is 5/64" or 2mm, that might be right.

Back