Help getting 2500+ to 3200+

Liqwid122

Limp Gawd
I have my 2500+ running at stock voltage prime stable at 192 FSB. This is about 2.11 GHz. Anything higher will fail prime after time. I booted at 200 FSB but Halo and CS froze. I even Raised the vcore to 1.775 but it didn't help at all. I think the problem is my stupid rev 1.04 MB. I have the latest BIOS but It still doesn't work. Also my proc is week 44 so it is locked.

So my Question is if I bought a really nice NB cooler would that help me get the FSB higher???

thanks

(2) 256 Corsair 3200 XMS (11-2-2-2)

throw more voltage at your memory, and/or try relaxing your mem timings (but you still might need a little more voltage on the cpu core tho (like 1.7v))

try 11-2-2-2.5 on your mem timings and see what happens.

I know its supposed to be rated at 6-2-2-2 or whatever, but you need to try all the options to know for sure.

A very similar thing happened to me, and I couldn't get above 196FSB, until I changed my CAS timing to 2.5.

I bumped the mem volt. from 2.6 to 2.7 and changed it the timing to 2.5. I also bumped the vcore to 1.775. Halo crashes at the menu.

Thanks though for trying to help.

Try undervolting the processor. I was talking to someone who had a 2500+ @ 3200+ that wouldn't run stable at stock or higher voltage and he tried undervolting it and it worked. I don't know if he's crazy or if he's right but I would just give this a quick shot.

mine runs fine at 200*11 with stock heatsink... i guess all bartons are not created equal...

Originally posted by yusoweird
mine runs fine at 200*11 with stock heatsink... i guess all bartons are not created equal...

Don't brag =\ help him......

On another note , have you tried dropping your multi and raise your FSB that way? Try maybe 9*200 and see how that works out for you. Try and find out if it's your ram holding you back , then work on to the processor.... I never thought OC'in would take so much time until I tried.

Originally posted by Swat

On another note , have you tried dropping your multi and raise your FSB that way? Try maybe 9*200 and see how that works out for you. Try and find out if it's your ram holding you back , then work on to the processor.... I never thought OC'in would take so much time until I tried.

well hehe i didnt mean to brag... i was just making the point that all barton are not the same... some just cant make it to 3200 unless u get better cooling... or just cant make it period...

Originally posted by Carnival Forces
okay, from www.overclcokers.com there's a link at top to the CPU Database, here are the results ranked by max OC for Barton 2500+'s:
http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/Showamd.cfm

you can also rank them by vCore (but the linkys are the same? :confused: )

teh average oC was 2311MHz..so it's just something to give you an idea

key word is AVERAGE there, like someone else said, some chips just won't go very far, you may have one of the crappy ones

which chipset is that? the nforce 2 or nfoce 2 ultra? nb cooling might help tho, give it a shot

run memtest86. make sure your memory is error free.

I had a bad stick of memory that caused games to crash to windows, and also the pc to just restart itself every so often.

thoses mobos at that revision are not meant to run at 200fsb. Get a new board, or just stick with what you have. Unless you want to voltage mod it, i hear that can help (the limiting factor is your boards north and south bridges, they cant handle that kind of oc.

Originally posted by mikey63
run memtest86. make sure your memory is error free.

How long does it take to run memtest 86? I ran it for a while but it didnt seem to be doing anything. What format are the results?

Originally posted by Swat

On another note , have you tried dropping your multi and raise your FSB that way? Try maybe 9*200 and see how that works out for you.

When a cpu is locked can you change the multiplier to a lower setting?

I'm thinking it might be his board since it's an older NF2. Back then 200 fsb as top end. On the new rev2 boards, it's almost a lock.

I would try and throw alot more voltage at the chip (up to 1.8 or so) to see if that is the problem. Make sure you have the PCI/AGP set to 66mhz instead of auto and give it a try. You also might need better cooling on the northbridge.

Originally posted by md262626
When a cpu is locked can you change the multiplier to a lower setting?

none, unless you find a way to unlock em

make sure you're ram is at recommended timings

go to corsair's website and check what they should be

2-3-3-6 most likely

Originally posted by Griffen
make sure you're ram is at recommended timings

go to corsair's website and check what they should be

2-3-3-6 most likely

yeah but you should prob loosen them up to remove the ram as the limiting factor - once you get an oc your happy with slowly tighten em up for kickass performance

Back