Help. Front USB3.0 ports not working.

The Chosen One

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 4, 2001
Messages
1,290
Hi guys,

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 mobo (F10 BIOS) , in a Corsair 500R case. Rest of the specs are:
i5 2500k
2x HD4870s in Crossfire
8gb of GSkill Ripjaws DDR3
Corsair H80
Antec HCP1200W PSU
120gb OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS
a few storage HDDs

...however I doubt any of the rest is relevant.

The problem is that my front USB3 ports dont work. Back ones work fine. If I plug the USB3 to USB2 adapter in, the front ones work, but only on USB2. I thought initially that it was a issue with the case, so Corsair replaced the front panel for me...but it wasnt the issue.

My brother has the EXACT same mobo/case setup and his work fine, so its not a compatibility issue.

When the Front USB ports are plugged into the USB3 header on the mobo, they receive power, because you can charge your phone from them etc, but no "data" connection seems to be established because Windows doesnt recognize any device attached. Same goes for USB3 USB keys, mice, phones, etc etc. Nothing works EXCEPT power.

Plug the adapter in, and plug them into the USB2 header, everything works fine. I have tried countless reinstallations of drivers, ive even formatted and flashed the BIOS. No solution.

...Does anyone have any ideas?
 
Then that would mean the header on the motherboard is bad and time for an RMA
 
argh..my warranty has expired. I only got this case recently and my old case only had USB2 so I never knew about it.

sonofabitch.
 
I'm fairly sure it's a driver issue -- make sure you have the /right/ ones, as Win 7 has become somewhat notorious for installing completely wrong USB 3.0 drivers on many boards.
 
I'm fairly sure it's a driver issue -- make sure you have the /right/ ones, as Win 7 has become somewhat notorious for installing completely wrong USB 3.0 drivers on many boards.

Ive downloaded the Win 7 x64 ones from the Gigabyte website...is there something additional I should be doing?
 
Go in to device manager, uninstall and choose to delete the driver, open windows update and find the USB 3.0 driver it's probably trying to re-download, choose to hide/disable that update. Check and make sure no driver is installed at this point, then install the proper one from Gigabyte. I also had a hell of a time getting USB 3.0 working on my board and I originally blamed it on Gigabyte, but this seems to be a common issue with many boards from several manufacturers.
 
Okay, now this is strange:

1. Disabled Windows Update entirely
2. Went into Device Manager
3. Uninstalled (w/ Delete) the two Etron USB3 drivers
4. Downloaded USB3 driver from Gigabyte
5. Installed it (or at least ran the installer)
6. Comes up with a window saying "searching windows update for driver"
7. Clicked "stop searching for update"
8. Said "USB Host Controller Driver Not Found"
9. Didn't install. In Device Manager, it still has the yellow exclamation mark over "USB Serial Bus (USB) Host Controller"
10. If I manually point it to the Etron x64 driver from Gigabyte, it installs as two seperate Etron USB3 devices ("Etron USB3 Extensible Host Controller" and "Etron USB3 Extensible Root Hub"), but still doesnt work.

....what am i doing wrong?
 
Back
Top