• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Help finishing my setup.. 2.1 amplifier?

Loctus

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
199
Hello,

I bougth these speakers - Energy C-200
http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en/products/c-200-overview/

And they are very nice.. especially comparing to my previous Sony's that I found on the street. Anyway, currently I have a 20 year old receiver powering them (Onkyo TX-840) but I think newer amps are better? I would like to get one that could support a subwoofer if I decide to get one later on, or does subwoofer plugs directly into motherboard? As I don't see many 2.1 amps but lots of 2.0's...

Also, amplifier vs receiver.. I am kind of noob at this but I don't need a radio receiver or fancy connectors, I just want to amplify the sound coming from my motherboard - Asus M3A78-CM.

Any suggestions? I would prefer to get something used and don't mind old things, but my budget is up to $100-150.

Thanks.
 
Something like the Sonic Impact T-Amp would be perfect. No need to worry about a specific 2.1 amp, as most powered subs that you would buy have a speaker level input. Meaning that to hook up a sub, you run the speaker cables from the amplifier to the sub, then out to the speakers.

You might also want to look into either an external DAC like a Fubar II or a soundcard designed for quality 2 channel music playback such as an M-Audio Audiophile 2496. IMO that would make the biggest difference.
 
Sonic Impact T-Amp is only 10 watt of power and the speakers are 125 watt, won't they be really quiet? And thanks for sound card suggestion, I'll look into them.
 
Look for an Adcom power amp or a vintage Harmon Kardon or Marantz stereo receiver. These are probably some of the best, most reliable vintage amplifiers of them all.

Adcom:
GFA-535 or GFA 545 to fit in your budget.

HK or Marantz:
Pretty much any of the old stereo receivers that provide at least 50wpc (I think that's all their stereo receivers lol). These will be REAL watts, not just rated watts. They will run your speakers just fine.

Personally, I am partial to the Adcom, Hk, and Marantz, in that order.
 
If they perform according to their ratings, it should be fine. However, that cheap for an amp of such ratings? I am not going to be optimistic. In particular, the ability for the amp to last too long. The types of products I was referring to are known to be long lasting and solidly built.
 
"Sonic Impact T-Amp is only 10 watt of power and the speakers are 125 watt, won't they be really quiet?"

Those speakers you linked have sensitivity of 91dB eg with only 1 watt from a meter away they'll be 91dB... enough to damage your ears in a couple hours :p-- actually I think this is just like what OSHA says.. probably like couple hours a day on avg is bad or something, too lazy to look up. If you're closer than 1 meter from your speaker it'll be even louder.

10watts is more than enough.

BTW I think t-amp powns for the money. I have a Virtue` or whatever its called, kinda expensive but I like that its small and fits nicely on desk.
http://store.virtueaudio.com/product-p/vrtu-ia-ap11-1.htm

Heres a review of it, I don't exactly put alot of faith in reviews though:
http://www.stereomojo.com/MINI AMP SHOOTOUT/MINIAMPSHOOTOUT.htm
 
Last edited:
Yeah, for a desktop setup, and with an efficient pair of speakers, the T-amp is fine. If you have a big room, you would want an amp with more power so that you can push the speakers to let out home theater volumes. Otherwise...
 
A question about Adcom GFA-535. I found one for $120 shipped.. which is good, i guess? Do I need a preamp for it? Reading reviews everyone seems running it with a preamp.

About the loudness, I would like it to be powerful enough to hear music while taking shower :D
 
Should be fine without a preamp. I've used power amps with just iPods.
 
Back
Top