Help finding new mouse

Khanmots

Gawd
Well, my old mouse is finally dying a death I can't repair it from so it's time for something new.

I'm a finger-tip only person. No claw, no palm. I want my palm resting on the mouse-pad and staying in one spot while my fingers do the work. As such... I'm one of the few people out there that likes non-linear mouse movement (this the acceleration I hear about?) so I can flick my fingers and move the mouse across both displays without moving my wrist. On my current cheap pos mouse that means I have the windows settings so that pointer speed is one-tick from max and Enhance Pointer precision is on :eek: I know, I know, it's not what's recommended :p

Anyways, poking around at my local Fry's the Razer Abyssus felt pretty decent in my hand, but I've got no clue if it's any decent. Any others I should be looking at?

Also, with better sensors I'd imagine that I'll be running different settings, any suggestions as to what DPI, polling rate, or whatever I should be looking for to help me get the kind of keep-palm fixed movement I'm wanting?

Finally... I tend to like soft mouse pads, so if that affects sensor choice I guess I should throw it out there.

I would highly recommend the Cyborg RAT 9 or 7 for gaming, and the Microsoft Touch Mouse for your workload, document creation and research, it uses finger gestures, best for the web, and managing multiple windows at once.

...for keyboards, the Razer Black Widow Ultimate is awesome for gaming and working!;) Macros for games and separate macro profiles for opening documents and apps, and within apps profiles! Its very cool!;)

Last edited:
I've got a leopold with mx browns that I'll be sticking with :D

The touch mouse is interesting... seems gimmicky though. If I can find one hooked up to a display system somewhere though I'll definately give it a try. I got hooked on mouse gestures for browsing after having the same initial reaction nearly 15 years ago and haven't looked back since, so maybe this'll be the same kinda thing :)

As for the RAT 7/9 how hard are they to get adjusted? I saw them and my initial thought was that I'd never quite get it 'right' and be adjusting it forever :eek: Also had some doubts as to comfort, but my local fry's didn't have any out to mess with. May try one of the more upscale ones around and see if they do though.

Definitely try both mice out if you can at a local store. The Microsoft Touch Mouse is not gimmicky at all, it really works very well for scrolling vertically and horizontally thru spreadsheets moving thru multiple windows and backward and forward thru webpages, and it comes with great software and it is packaged really nice like an iPod or IPhone. Check out the website, http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/products/touch-mouse/microsite/

I got one for 59.95 from Amazon, they may have gone back up to $80.

The Rat 9 is also wireless fits really well in anyone’s hand, you will most likely go thru a play period, where you are moving all the adjustments around for the first few days, but when you get it right it’s so comfortable. But I find it heavy even without any of the weights, so I just use it for gaming once in a while, I'm not a big gamer. The Touch Mouse on the other hand is very lightweight, and I use it with only one of the batteries installed to make it even lighter, for getting work done it takes a lot of movements out of your day, your hand doesn’t fatigue, give it a go!

…there seems to be more than one Touch Mouse from Microsoft now, the website I linked is the one I have, it only works with Windows 7 32 and 64bit, I'm using it right now!;)

Last edited:
i just went through the process of finding a new mouse to replace my aging MS IntelliMouse Explorer that i really liked. after much searching and many reviews, i bought a Logitech MX500 and would recommend it to others. it is wired, and i'd prefer wireless, but all the "good" wireless mice are far too expensive, IMHO. i've had the wired MX500 for about 2 months now and have had no problems with the wire.

I am in Florida, we don't have anything like Fry's where you can go and experience great gear, all we have is Best Buy and Staples and they don't carry the good stuff, just low and midrange office! You must be in a big city..

I hear about people going to the stores to check out cool gear like my Corsair 650D chassis, there is nothing like that around here, thank god for the forums and Amazon and Newegg!;)

mouses are so difficult to choose especially if your sitting there gaming to actually get a real good feel for the mouse i would look at some reviews and see some other peoples input on the mouses your interested in

Anyways, poking around at my local Fry's the Razer Abyssus felt pretty decent in my hand, but I've got no clue if it's any decent. Any others I should be looking at?

The Abyssus has the same sensor like the DeathAdder 3.5G, no prediction or +/- acceleration, too high lift off distance. It's picky about the mouse pads, see link.
It's perfect for fingertip grip style. ;)

Seb1, thanks for the input. I've been too busy to do anything on this yet... so your reply is not in vain! :)

Back