Help finding an inexpensive AV receiver with HDMI upconversion?

helios02

n00b
Hey guys, I'm trying to find the least expensive AV receiver that has analog to HDMI video upconversion. So far, the best deals I've found are these:

Onkyo TX-NR616
Onkyo TX-NR515

But they seem to have mixed reviews (particularly the NR616), with many people claiming they have unreliable connection issues, including HDMI-out problems. I understand "you get what you pay for," so I am open to different price ranges if the above are no good. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? I would appreciate any suggestions from anyone. Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you do not mind purchasing a refurbished receiver I believe you should have a look at the refurbished Denon AVR 1913 at accessories4less. It upscales to 1080p and Denon has a better track record of producing reliable receivers. Accesories4less is an Denon authorized online dealer so the unit comes with a 1 year warranty as well.

The 515 doesn't to analog/digital conversion. The 616 is a good unit, good circuitry and the upgrade to this year's model (the 626) is mostly just some bluetooth features.

If you do not mind purchasing a refurbished receiver I believe you should have a look at the refurbished Denon AVR 1913 at accessories4less. It upscales to 1080p and Denon has a better track record of producing reliable receivers. Accesories4less is an Denon authorized online dealer so the unit comes with a 1 year warranty as well.

Thanks for the suggestion. That looks like a real good deal, actually. I'm not opposed to a refurbished one. Do you have experience with any from that site?

The 515 doesn't to analog/digital conversion. The 616 is a good unit, good circuitry and the upgrade to this year's model (the 626) is mostly just some bluetooth features.

Hmm, are you sure the 515 doesn't? If you look at the Amazon page and scroll down, there is a comparison chart and it says it does have analog to hdmi upconversion. Is that wrong?

EDIT: Onkyo's site says the 515 does indeed have analog to hdmi upconversion: http://us.onkyo.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR515&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

Thanks for the suggestion. That looks like a real good deal, actually. I'm not opposed to a refurbished one. Do you have experience with any from that site?

Hmm, are you sure the 515 doesn't? If you look at the Amazon page and scroll down, there is a comparison chart and it says it does have analog to hdmi upconversion. Is that wrong?

EDIT: Onkyo's site says the 515 does indeed have analog to hdmi upconversion: http://us.onkyo.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR515&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

You're right.
I had recently looked at the 525, which is the successor to the 515. It's strange that the 515 has it but the 525 doesn't...

i have a 515 and i love it.

Make sure you update the firmware via usb when you get it. Besides that, you shouldn't have any problems.

I would recommend it to anyone. I feel like its at the price/functionality sweet spot. Pair it with an apple tv and game console and your set.

I have no experience purchasing a receiver from accessories4less but I have heard nothing but positive things from that site on many forums.

not sure of your price point, but this is a nice unit and it looks to support Analog to HDMI upconversion.

http://www.woot.com/offers/pioneer-7-1-channel-network-a-v-receiver

The Panny VSX 1023 does do 4k passthrough but no HDMI upconversion of any sort based on what I see on a Pioneer Receiver comparision chart from it's Amazon product page.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the responses, guys. I think I'm going to go for the 515 and hope for the best! Seems to have solid reviews and a good price point.

I absolutely LOVE my TX-NR515... yes, there were some early issues with HDMI but they have all been solved via firmware updates.

Onkyo are consistent with continual support via firmware revisions, in fact one was just released last month for the NR515.

If you order the receiver make SURE you find a USB stick and update the firmware first thing. Be prepared for it to take awhile... the first round of firmware updates on my 515 took like 30 minutes to complete. Subsequent updates are much less lengthy...

And YES, the 515 not only does HDMI upconversion on all of the analog inputs, but it's actually capable of upscaling everything to 4K via the Marvell Qdeo processor which is pretty badass for a receiver in this price range IMO.

I like being able to have my classic consoles hooked up to this baby and the video upscaling quality is outstanding. :D

Back