Help finding a laptop: Apple vs PC

Tofu Drift

Limp Gawd
I know next-to-nothing about laptops and I'm in the market to buy a new one for school soon (notetaking, presentation-making, a little bit of movie watching [AVIs and so on], surfing, very light gaming) and I've been giving some serious thought to getting an iBook over any other Windows-based laptop.

I have a Windows-based rig (in my sig) running Win XP Pro SP2 and my biggest concern is compatibility issues with applications like Office on my PC (assuming I get MS Office for Mac).

Mobility and battery life are also big concerns. I don't mind sticking to a 12" screen either, but ~15" is alright. I'm looking to spend about $1200CAD. These specs are for the iBook that retails for $1199. Can I get anything faster for less?

1.2GHz PowerPC G4
512K L2 cache @1.2GHz
12-inch TFT Displays
1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
30GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory
AirPort Extreme built-in

Please no outright, unmerited Mac-bashing ;)
If you have any prices or product suggestions, please make sure they are products available in Canada and adhere to the price.

Thanks in advance!

The Dell 600m costs about the same and is a tad bit bigger. Gets almost the same battery life.

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_600m?c=ca&cs=CADHS1&l=en&s=dhs

But it really depends on what you want. The ibook offers what the 600m doesn't, OSX.

Also I would say the build quality with the ibook is better than the 600m.

Specs[/b[
Base Model Includes:
Intel Mobile Celeron® at 1.50 GHz

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

14.1" XGA TFT Display

32MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 Graphics

256MB DDR Memory

8X DVD-ROM Drive

Starting at 4.98lbs

The dell would be better for gaming but I would reccomend the ibook.

i own a powerbook 15" and a intel laptop. The pb doesn't seem to get good battery life so i have to bring the adapter with me. I do like the OSX, i wish be battery life could be longer.

Intel centrino has the best battery life right now, it's great for note taking and wireless web surfing.

thats just me

doesnt it cost a lot more to get a 600m equipped for such battery life than it does to get the powerbook to last that long?

Back