help find me a managed switch

StickyLoad

Limp Gawd
I need help finding a managed switch.

I've found an HP ProCurve Switch 2650 - switch - 48 ports. These any good. I also see dell has a PowerConnect 3448. I"ve got some unmanaged dell gigabit 24 port switches and have had zero problems with them.

I need 48 ports and would prefer to have it all on one switch, just from a cost stand point. I have no experience with these and am looking for some advice. Features I would use is mrtg, some QOS, and probably some service blocking.

I'm not afraid of command lines, but would prefer web based management.

If you don't mind older equiptment - get two 3Com SuperStack II 3300 XM's - they can be had for about $40 each on eBay. Add a matrix cable and you're set.

I have heard very good things about the Dell switches :D

I'm not looking for older equipment - I want to buy new as this is for an office environment.

Thanks for the reply though

AtomicFire said:
If you don't mind older equiptment - get two 3Com SuperStack II 3300 XM's - they can be had for about $40 each on eBay. Add a matrix cable and you're set.

I have heard very good things about the Dell switches :D

I dont' know as I'd reccomend those 3com switches. I had three of 'em and 2 have died. They aren't supported by 3com anymore so you gotta buy new which is rough on the budget.

I'm a big fan of the procurves.

I have had problems with the older GUI on that they used to use, but the new one seems to be much better.

The telnet interface is pretty nifty also.

I also like the pro-curves. I am currently looking at 80k worth of them to replace my existing network, if it gets approved.

I have a Nortel 350-24T you could have for $65+Shipping

It is unopened and still in the original box.

PM me if interested

Vote for ProCurve here as well. We have been using the PWR-2626 for are WLAN; and they have been flawless. Plus like above, ProCurves are lifetime warranty - can't beat that! We also have just ordered a few more switches from them - very good for the price and warranty.

ProCurves are definately up there in reliability, I'd agree. However I've had very good luck with the Dells. We use them almost exclusively and have had zero problems. We have about 25 of them deployed, some for almost four years now. Some are in extremely bad environements (dust, cold, etc) but still have had no problems. I also like the interface, the CLI is very cisco-ish. The web GUI isn't the greatest, but it gets the job done.

I'd recommend them highly, especially for the low cost.

Just for info, we currently have 3324s, 3024s, 3448s, and a couple 5324s.

I'll vote for ProCurves as well. Very good switches and a decent price.

YeOldeStonecat said:
I've been enjoying the newer Linksys/Cisco SRW series of switches. :cool:

How's the web interface on those? We bought one a while back when they first came out, but the web interface was almost worthless. It basically just displayed text port stats in a graphical frame, and wouldn't let you make any actual config changes. Hopefully they're better now...

Thanks for the great replies

Does anyone know if Dell or HP switches have an online demo of the web user interfaces?

amenthes said:
How's the web interface on those? We bought one a while back when they first came out, but the web interface was almost worthless. It basically just displayed text port stats in a graphical frame, and wouldn't let you make any actual config changes. Hopefully they're better now...

I guess it depends on what features you're looking for...I use them in situations where I want port based VLANs and a few higher priority ports....and they do that very well for me.

StickyLoad said:
Thanks for the great replies

Does anyone know if Dell or HP switches have an online demo of the web user interfaces?

Dell 3448 Documentation

You can go into any of the Dell switches manuals on-line where they give examples of configuring the device to see shots of the interface.

Back