HELP! Extremely Slow Internet

Etherea1

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone, I just loaded 64bit Vista Ultimate on my rig, and noticed that my broadband connection (wired, no wifi) is severely gimped. When I boot into XP, a bandwidth test (speakeasy.net) shows ~7mbps. Load into Vista, get 400kpbs. Has this happened to anyone else? My specs are:

Q6600
eVGA 680i SLi mobo, nForce 15.08 drivers
2x 8800GT
4gb RAM
D-Link DIR-625 router, firmware version 1.04
Vista Ultimate 64bit with current drivers and updates

Any input is greatly appreciated, I've been wrestling with the network all day to no avail. Thanks!

First question I'm sure (Yea because I'm asking it :D) is: Have you tried the latest/greatest drivers?

Ugh, I finally figured it out. Turns out my router is not compatible with Vista. For the D-Link DIR-625, only Revision C with firmware 3.00 or greater is Vista compatible, and I'm SOL since I only have Revision A. Oh well, live and learn. =/

Wtf does your router have to do with vista? You should still be getting what your getting in XP...

You know, I thought the same thing. A router is a router, no matter the OS, right? I have my computer connected directly to the modem right now, and the internet is great. When I boot up XP (I have dual boot) I connect through the router, and it works perfectly. Load up Vista, connect through router, and it's back to a crawl. Drivers for NIC are up to date, as is everything else. (all Vista patches, all firmware, proper 64bit drivers etc.)

I really don't want to spend more money on another router, and it's definitely isolated to the router, so does anyone know enough about D-Link 625 series routers to offer some advice on how to set it up to work with Vista?

Do you guys think that loading DD-WRT firmware might be of some help? Or since it seems to be a hardware issue, would it not make much difference?

You are right. A router is a router.

Your configuration is messed up somewhere...

Does running IE64 make any difference? I've had cases where the TCP/IP stack (twice now) is corrupted and only IE64 would work properly.

Otherwise I would think it be a DNS issue possibly. Do an ipconfig /all on both Vista and XP machines (when connected to the same line) and see what the difference is...

Otherwise- may need to look at reinstalling your NIC's drivers.

Yes, IPv6 is disabled, and I will probably try to reinstall the NIC drivers tomorrow. Running IE64 makes no difference, and I manually set my ip address and DNS. Is there a 'proper' way to uninstall/reinstall drivers in Vista Ultimate 64? I give up for today, I've been working on this issue since 10am. I'm gonna leave the rig plugged in straight to the modem and enjoy some quality COD4 action =)

Yes, IPv6 is disabled, and I will probably try to reinstall the NIC drivers tomorrow. Running IE64 makes no difference, and I manually set my ip address and DNS. Is there a 'proper' way to uninstall/reinstall drivers in Vista Ultimate 64? I give up for today, I've been working on this issue since 10am. I'm gonna leave the rig plugged in straight to the modem and enjoy some quality COD4 action =)

Pretty much the same process, go into the device manager and uninstall the device from your device manager, reboot

It really doesn't make sense, but I've seen articles claiming certain routers do not work very well, or not at all with Vista.

Just got done reformatting/reinstalling the OS from scratch, same thing is happening. Looks like I'll be having to go out and buy a new router today :mad: Windows Vista makes me a sad panda.

The router can't be incompatible with Vista, because it doesn't need to interact with the OS at all. You don't need any software installed in the OS for the router whatsoever. The problem is likely that the "wizard" software that came with the router was installed to do NAT and routing operations in software on the PC. This is because your modem is configured from the ISP to dial your account and do NAT & DHCP ... so the router is accepting a single IP from modem's embedded DHCP server, and then you have to do everything else in software on the PC. Do this:

a) Uninstall the software for your router out of the operating system
b) Plug directly into your cable or DSL modem, log in, and change it to bridge mode
c) Hook everything back up normally and log into the router via the embedded webserver (http://192.168.1.1 or whatever it is)
c) Configure the router to dial your ISP using the bridge mode cable or DSL modem

That should make everything work perfect, allow your routing and other operations to be done on the router, and make it to where no software whatsoever is necessary on the PC. The only problem here is that the router software (which is not needed in the first place) is not Vista compatible. It would probably be a good idea to upgrade the router firmware while doing this stuff too. Good luck.

Just got done reformatting/reinstalling the OS from scratch, same thing is happening. Looks like I'll be having to go out and buy a new router today :mad: Windows Vista makes me a sad panda.

Have you got any spare computers you could turn into a router?

If your router is not working with Vista then your router is not configured properly....unless there's some issue with Vista receiving an IP address from your router. But I've never heard of that. You can always try entering a static IP address on the pc. Make sure the dns server names are entered correctly.

Can anyone recommend a fairly inexpensive router that they know works 100% with Vista 64?

The Linksys WRT54G wireless router is pretty good. Widely supported and known- have no issues with it myself. Very popular router.

I have that Linksys Router as well, and I believe it's the first revision. It works pefectly fine with 2 Vista x64 machines behind it.

Interesting, hadn't heard of the issue. I'd still be curious to see if the problem persisted if you entered a static IP address on the pc.

Did the static ip, static DNS, problem persists. I did some digging around my storage box, and just happened to come across a Linksys WRT54G my old roommate forgot when he moved out ;) I'll install it later this evening and let you all know if the problem was solved or not.

The Linksys WRT54G wireless router is pretty good. Widely supported and known- have no issues with it myself. Very popular router.

I got my WRT54G hooked up right now, and my download speed jumped from ~400kbps to ~1mbps. An improvement, but what am I doing wrong? In XP, the same settings net me my full 7-9mpbs. Funny thing is, my upload speed is the same in XP and Vista, a steady 480kbps. I'm sorry to seem like such a hardware noob, honestly this is my first time having such a networking headache. Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Back