HELP: encrypted ssd in raw state, "access denied" issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

oROEchimaru

Supreme [H]ardness
Hello, our WinMagic encryption product on an intel ssd stopped working after the workstation was renamed in Windows and the device was reboot. The device had a bad install of the encryption software that never finished encrypting the drive but the device had been working for three weeks with multiple reboots but was only partially encrypted. There is important data on the drive I do not wish to format it.

The device had the latest irst, intel chipset and intel ssd toolbox drivers for about two weeks as well. After rebooting the device for all three partitions (two small partitions for encryption table data, one for normal usage) went into RAW format. They were previously ntfs. The intel ssd toolbox had not found errors previously.

I tried easyus, acronis, stellar phoenix and recuva. Stellar looked hopeful but the rest have permissions issues. All four apps see it as RAW. Recuva and a few other tools receive warnings "access denied".

When I pull up the security tab o the drive, there are no security permissions set. The normal security tab is limited in which it does not list the section to add users, everyone, administrators etc to specific security settings. It has "continue and advanced" only which leads you to the owner tab or permissions/auditing tabs.

owner: unable to change or set an owner.
"unable to display current owner"
"unable to set new owner on local disk. Access is denied"

"permissions tab"
"to continue you must be an administrative user with permission to view this object's security properties..."
continue... (Im a domain and local admin) > takes you back to owner tab with errors.

takeown /r /f K:\*
ERROR: Access is denied.

icacls K:\* /T /L /Q /C /RESET
K:\*: Access is denied.

any tips? The take own command also states access denied. Unlocker does not find any apps locking the three drives. The drive is unlocked from encryption at this time (added the encryption key for the drive to my account)

Last edited:
Stick a fork in it, it's done.

Restore the data from a backup. (You DID have it backed up, right? If not then it wasn't "important data")

Next time, i'd use something else for drive encryption, something more established like Bitlocker or one of the Truecrypt forks. (Veracrypt is the popular choice there)

this is an end user device which I would like comments to focus on restoring data. WinMagic is a major vendor for organizations. This is not mine/personal drive. Looking for feedback on resolving the issue.

this is an end user device which I would like comments to focus on restoring data. WinMagic is a major vendor for organizations. This is not mine/personal drive. Looking for feedback on resolving the issue.

My comment on restoring the data? Data's gone. Resolve the issue by restoring the data.

What encryption were you using? Was it the winmagic software encryption, or did you have winmagic use the SSDs hardware encryption?

Have you reached out to winmagic support? They are pretty quick to respond and get someone to do screen share sessions to work with you on issues.

yes I have a case open with WM, spent about 20 hours with them so far. Common methods are not restoring the data which is a bummer.

well some good news. the old drive that was shredded was not shredded and we unlocked it and saved the day to restore the essential files (and moved everything to the file share) woot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back