Help: E6300 Bad Idle Temps

davidtran007

[H]ard|Gawd
E6300 (Stock Cooling) / Gigabyte DS3 Rev 3.3 (F11 Bios)
Northbridge Heatsink = Evercool VC-RE
Antec P160 + High CFM Fans (Intake/Exhaust)

CPU Temps - 55-60C Idle. Stock Speeds !!!

Reseated stock cooler twice with AS5. Results = Same Temps
Installed Thermalright XP-90 with LGA 775RM Bracket + AS5 = Same Temps

What could possibly be the problem? Help anyone? Other parts can be found in my sig below. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

What program are you using to show the CPU temperatures? CoreTemp 0.95 reports my e6300 temps as 15 degrees higher than they really are.

bios reports about the same thing....

dsadsob3.jpg

Have you verified that the heatsink fan is running? It may be the Smart Fan option ramping down the fan because of the low heat output of a C2D.

You can change the Smart Fan option in Bios, PC Health Status and then down to Fan Speed Control Method.

why is your cpu running full speed at idle?

also, cpu thermal states enabled in bios?

i have had this happen before on a laptop. there was a window function hijacking the system and running the cpu at %100 all the time
check your background running programs,,,,

if not, you might have too much AS5 (i've been there)......
or you have a bad cpu heatspreader ......

i disabled all that thermal stuff in the bios that would reduce the speeds....

room temps prob around 80. my case temps are around 30-40. it has 2 probe temp sensors built in the case. when i stuck the sensor in the heatsink, the temps were around 45ish.

When you do a CTRL+ALT+DEL are there any processes running in the background loading your processor. The CPU Usage should be zero or in the low single digits at idle.

How much AS5 are you using? What worked best for me was covering a rectangular area directly over top of where the cores are with a thin even layer.

Is your heatsink making good contact with the CPU. It should be snug and be floating around so try to give it a twist.

You might have a processor with a concave heat spreader on it and no matter what you do you'll never get good temps out of it unless you lap it flat. I'm not a big fan of lapping to gain a degree or two but in your case something is wrong and needs to be fixed.

Is your heatsink making good contact with the CPU. It should be snug and be floating around so try to give it a twist.

You might have a processor with a concave heat spreader on it and no matter what you do you'll never get good temps out of it unless you lap it flat. I'm not a big fan of lapping to gain a degree or two but in your case something is wrong and needs to be fixed.

I've got an e6300 with the same problem as the OP, and after some screwing around my friend and I were able to determine that the heat spreader was, as you said, concave. I wonder if this is a problem with just the 6300 line or if others are having problems as well. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem.

it appears my ihs is concave or bowed you can say....

i can either send it back to intel or start lapping it. im curious if lapping it would result in a huge 20-30c temp drop though.

I would think if things were all squared up that 40C would be a lot closer to a normal idle temp for you.

Back