Help! Display problem with new build

Hello
Novice HTPC builder here.
I purchased the following setup and put it together today.

Realan E-I5 case, 120W DC with 84W adapter
Intel Pentium G860 3.0GHz LGA1155 65W
Silverstone NT07-1156 fan
ASRock B75M-ITX mobo
G.SKILL 4GB F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

I booted up and immediately noticed a display problem. In the UEFI bios I was only able to see part of the screen and the rest was cut off. It was as though the wrong resolution was being used or something. I managed to get windows to boot but still the same screen resolution issue. I'm using a 1080p display and the Intel HD Graphics utility says I'm on 1920x1200 but it's like the display is off center. There is a black border on the right and bottom of the screen and I cannot see the far left and top part of the desktop.

I happened to try another monitor which was only a 4:3 with 1280x1024 and that worked fine (both UEFI bios and Win7). So, it's something to do with the 1080p resolution.

I think maybe one of the parts is wrong...but what would you suggest?
Mobo or CPU?

I immediately suspected the Mobo, but I guess it's the CPU doing all the VGA work so perhaps it's a bad chip? Does that happen?

Thanks for any advice

=====================================
Update: I was able to verify that the 1080p display works fine with the VGA(RGB) cable but not HDMI.
Does this confirm it's a Mobo problem?

Thanks

Last edited:
What monitors are you using?

Have you installed updated graphics and motherboard drivers onto your system?

OK it’s getting a little strange. I think it’s a problem due to the display.

The good news is that I tried it on the TV I am going to use for this HTPC and it works OK. I was originally testing the system on my existing LG 246WP 1980x1200 monitor using HDMI and the problems still exist. But the same setup using my LG 42LS5700 HDTV works fine. I also tried it on my Samsung 46LCD TV and the Bios is screwed up resolution wise but the Windows desktop is OK once I play with the scaling on the HD Graphics util. I have downloaded the latest Intel VGA driver and INF from ASRock website but nothing else.

I assume these drivers have no impact on the BIOS screen as they are Windows specific? BIOS version seems to be up to date so I am still baffled as to why the BIOS looks whacky on certain displays.

Thanks

Last edited:
I am not sure I know what I am talking about here but it sounds to me like the Intel graphics driver is simply not identifying the correct resolution for some of the various different monitors you have tried. You said "I'm using a 1080p display and the Intel HD Graphics utility says I'm on 1920x1200." Well, isn't 1080p always 1920x1080? Unless I am missing something - have you tried simply right clicking on the portion of the Windows desktop that is visible, choosing "screen resolution" and then changing it from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080? Does that make any sense or have I misunderstood the problem?

I have the same problem with my 1080p Samsung DLP. The TV isn't playing nice with the UEFI resolution (maybe only via HDMI?) and there's no way to fix it. It sounds like you got the resolution fixed once you got into Windows with the Intel scaling settings. My understanding is that there is nothing that can be done since the UEFI resolution is set and can't be modified.

Thanks guys - it is apparently some EDID issue that is beyond my capabilities to diagnose further. I was able to confirm it is not a Mobo or CPU problem that needs RMA which is the main thing.

Thanks again

Back