Help diagnose PC issue!

rlee

Gawd
Hey everyone, I need some help ID'ing a problem I have with my PC. Specs are in my signature. Everything right now is running at stock speeds.

Recently, my computer has been "blacking out" randomly. What I mean is that, the screen would basically just turn black and my monitor enters power saving mode, as if my computer wasn't turned on, but my computer is still on (lights on, fans on, but no hd activity), however I know nothing is functioning because my hd isn't loading anymore. I fixed the issue by hitting the restart button on my computer. This happened maybe once or twice a week.

Now this morning, this is happening almost every time for a good 10 minute. I hit the restart button, power on/off, computer turns on, but no hd activity, monitor doesn't get any signal. This was happening for 5-10 minutes. Then eventually I could get into windows for more than 1 minute before blacking out. I may get into windows for a bit if I'm lucky and I see some blue screen errors also before the black out occurs. I saw one system service exception blue screen message before my computer restarted.

At this moment, my computer is up and running again, however I do not like this unstable'ness! I seems hard to troubleshoot as I can't really reproduce the issue on the spot. Any ideas on what I can do or any ideas on what the issue might be? It seems to be hardware related, but I am totally stumped.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Just got another blue screen: Memory management

Last edited:
Sounds like the mobo might be dying. It seems as it is a problem with the PCIe slot.

I may be way off base here but, I have had that same problem and how I fix it is by installing new audio and video drivers and also by updating my codecs. If you are running Win 7 or Vista, I would also check to see if my monitor is using std or default drivers (pnp monitor drivers) or dedicated drivers.

I do a lot of gaming and it seems every so often my drivers get corrupted and then all hell brakes loose.

Again, this may or may not help you but I would say that it is worth trying since it won't do any damage... more so if you make sure to update the drivers the correct way.

I may be way off base here but, I have had that same problem and how I fix it is by installing new audio and video drivers and also by updating my codecs. If you are running Win 7 or Vista, I would also check to see if my monitor is using std or default drivers (pnp monitor drivers) or dedicated drivers.

I do a lot of gaming and it seems every so often my drivers get corrupted and then all hell brakes loose.

Again, this may or may not help you but I would say that it is worth trying since it won't do any damage... more so if you make sure to update the drivers the correct way.

Thanks I will give that I try. I also do gaming, not super heavy (LOTRO). At this point, after that memory management blue screen, I removed 2 of my 2GB sticks, seems to be running longer than I have been able to, might just be a coincidence though, who knows.

Oh yeah, I did not see that... it may as easily be a problem with your RAM.

Update to new codecs and drivers and pray for the best! :D

Back