Help deciding how to backup

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by Saki630, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Saki630

Saki630 Limp Gawd

When I reformatted my SSD on PC2 and installed windows 10 w/ updates I then swapped it into PC1. PC1 sees the drive in the bios and when I choose to boot from it, it will POST successfully but after the DMI Pool message it gave me "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT DISK".

I got my new 860EVO and with PC2 formatted and installed windows 10 once more. Popped it into PC1 and it worked! SSD1 was reformatted in PC2 and to which I copied 12GB of data too succesfully. Connecting SSD1 back to my functioning PC with my 860EVO, I got stuck at the 'Verifying DMI Pool' section.

3rd time I just installed windows on my 860EVO on PC1 after realizing my USB was faulty and another USB could install windows on PC1. It works, and I wont connect SSD1 back to even use it.

What is some advice with backing up data?

Must I get an external drive to connect to my router so we can drop files off + have an SSD/HD with a full image copy of the main boot drive so I can swap it back if this happens again? I've never setup automatic saving tot he cloud nor think a fancy NAS/RAID system is for me and my puny files.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  2. mwroobel

mwroobel [H]ardness Supreme

When you say failed boot does that mean it is not properly seen in the BIOS? Fails once Windows starts to load? If this is so do your two different machines have different platforms (Intel vs AMD) or are you connecting to a non-intel SATA port on either? That can cause the installed Windows to have the wrong/invalid SATA drivers installed from one and not the other. It is also possible that the controller and/or SATA cable on machine 1 are failing.

Speedeu4ia likes this.
  3. Saki630

Saki630 Limp Gawd

I updated my first post cuz its was rushed and made no sense.

You are most likely correct that there was something missing on PC1 which was available on PC2 during install. Both PC's are intels, PC1 is x58 and PC2 is x99 so there is a large gap. I think my Motherboard doesnt like something on that old SSD which it has used since day one :(

4. Seagate_Surfer

Seagate_Surfer Official Seagate Rep

RAID is not, in-and-of itself, a backup. RAID is for preventing the need to take your system offline in the event of a drive failure. Imagine you are running a server which handles credit card transactions for a website, you don't want the chance of a hard drive crashing causing that server to have to go down for however long it takes to obtain a replacement drive and get everything working and back up. That would equal significant cost in lost dollars. That is the type of situation that RAID is ideal for.

For keeping your data safe, what you want is the 3-2-1 method, which is a strong rule-of-thumb for backup strategies. 3 copies of your data, on 2 different mediums, with 1 stored offsite to prevent against disaster (think asteroid or fire reducing your house to a pile of rubble/cinders, etc). So for your needs, backing up your data to another drive internally and then also to an external drive which you then keep somewhere else, like going to visit granny periodically, would be a much more cost-effective and fitting solution.

5. Saki630

Saki630 Limp Gawd

Lets say I have my C-Drive setup with all my applications, documents, games, updates.

Now do I somehow copy this SSD installation to another SSD/HD internally or externally? Is there an automated way to do it if I want to backup weekly? How do i do it the right way?

My current plan is to buy a 4TB HD to replace 3 older smaller drives in my PC. Use 1 of the 320GB HD's to backup my C-drive with documents -- (learn how to clone a drive so everything works). Have an external USB 3.0 drive connected to our router and drag-n-drop a copy of my documents & anything I want to share to that HD.

I dont like the idea of the 'cloud' having my data, but I've already given google access to my documents/files through emails so I might use them to store pics/docs.

Does that sound OK? I dont need a RAID nor a NAS. I just want to keep my files, and be able to have a copy of my active C:drive in case of another chkdisk error - or any other act of god.

6. elavanis

elavanis n00b

I have recently (last week) made the jump to freenas. I have two boxes that have mirrored drives of each other and the local box copies data off site to my parents via vpn. I keep the data I want backed up via a program called syncthing which I have set to daily sync data to the local machine. Prior to freenas I just used windows boxes with an external drive to accomplish the same thing. The advantage of freenas over windows is it prevents the data becoming unreadable on the disk by having a built in check sum on each block. If it detects bad data it reads it from the other drive and rewrites the back block on the 1st drive.

7. Jayy88

Jayy88 [H]Lite

an External or reliable large HDD. a copy of everything on the external and just put away for safe keeping. now with the advances in newer USB, it's more viable, old usb 2.0/1.1 isn't that fast.

That the case I would opt for a large single HDD and hopefully a reliable one. Seagate and HGST have had a lot of failures over the years. WD I think has had less imo and been excellent drives.

8. Saki630

Saki630 Limp Gawd

Thanks guys!

Does this WD 6TB look good? I'm not able to evaluate soud performance until I use it, but it seems like a good deal for the space. My WDBlack is still going 8 years strong.

I'm also getting a SATA-to-USB 3.0 connector to use my ancient SSD as a lil backup drive on the network.

I want to know how to use a 320gb drive to mirror my original drive. So if my ssd gets damaged or has an error, I can boot from my HD and copy to my SSD if needed.

9. noxqzs

noxqzs Limp Gawd

I have found the fastest way to get up and running is to just dedicate an extra drive and clone the drive you want. When dealing with Samsung drives, I usually just use their Samsung Magician software as its free and does it fairly fast. Although I have always cloned onto the Samsung drive, never from Samsung to other brand. For my own personal use I have started to use a program called HDCLONE. It is a little expensive compared to other programs(portable version), but I find it to be very reliable and it has all the tools I need in one program.

10. Keljian

Keljian Gawd

Rule of 3 with backups
    1. Primary data storage
    2. On-site backup
    3. Off-site backup

1. is easy
    2. Means storing on a nas or external drive
    3. Cloud storage or storage at a relative’s/mate’s place. Duplicati is an easy to use solution for this.