Help deciding between Fury X and 980 Ti

Fury X and 980ti basically draw the same wattage (stock). Just looked up a review and it was 221W (Fury X) vs 233 (980ti). Given the 980ti is slightly faster so the perf/watt is slightly better but it's in the range of neglible to me.

What I find funny is when people say "xx" card is cooler! Then talk about OCing it. 15-20% gains for 40% more power usage when OCing it...

Heh tell me about it. I can make my 980 Ti pull 400W+ in BF4, and this is with a slightly overkill custom loop no less. The same OC on stock cooling I was easily doing over 430W. (power consumption increases with component temp due to increase in current leakage) Even with fans at 100% I was still hitting mid-70s lol. GM200 behaves just like Hawaii when it comes to power consumption. Thankfully the Sinopower SM7320 mosfets MSi uses are rated for at least 60A, and with an 8+2 phase design, I'd sooner melt the power cable than blow up the fets.

the Fury X is a terrible card, the only pro it has is that its reference cooler is a CLC. it loses to every 980 Ti in almost every game at almost every resolution at stock clocks, and when you compare the two overclocked it's not even close. then you look at something like the Palit Jetstream which is around $10 more than a reference 980 Ti and is quieter, faster, and much more efficient than the Fury X, and you just have to think "why does this card even exist?".

How's that PLP gaming on your Nvidia card? Software? Dx9? Too bad. 20/30/20, PLP looks fantastic (and works) on the Fury X. That's the reason I bought the AMD over Nvidia.

Back