Help critiquing my first SFF (Mini ITX) build

J32P

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,

So I decided I wanted to go SFF for this new build. I really want the most power I can get out of a Mini ITX system but while more importantly keeping the (electrical) footprint as low as possible, within reason anyway.

This system will be used for:
Browsing the web, 1080p movie watching on second display (important), Music + Winamp visualizations (Important), lower power consuming always on device for torrenting (Very important), etc.

This system will not be used for:
Heavy Gaming (Probably won't game at all), Folding, Encoding movies, and sucking up crazy amounts of power like my OC'd desktop currently does.

Here's what I have so far.

mysff.png

Notes: Ram (4GB to start) and SSD may or may not be shown for the overall price (and feel) but I don't need them.. Same thing with display, storage drives, wireless keyboard, mouse, etc.

I feel somewhat comfortable with the above spec'd system but I want to make sure there's nothing I'm overlooking. The video card seems like the weakest link to me. I was going to go with the ATI 6450 but read somewhere it's really weak and easily out done by the GT 430 as an HTPC video card. However I couldn't find the actual power draw on these cards (haven't dug that deep). Is there a better video card for my needs? What would you do differently? Overall, is this a good setup? Also, I went with the Z68 motherboard for features and potential OC options for down the road (when I get bored...lol).

Oh yeah, since all of my desktops have always had somewhat powerful video cards, I have no idea how much power it takes to play visualizations. Anyone know what can and can't play visualizations? Can a ATI 6450? Or is there a more powerful but barely more power hungry ATI video card more appropriate for this build?

Almost forgot, anyone got a recommendation for a HD TV tuner card?

TIA

122 views and not one response. Maybe I will try to answer the questions we're supposed to answer.

1. What will you be doing with this PC?

Mentioned above

2. What's your budget?

Relative budget outlined above but say under $$800-900 (not including display, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc)

3. Where do you live?

Not relevant but no, I don't live by any good/great B&M computer stores. All orders are through teh webz.

4. What exact parts do you need for that budget?

Mentioned above

5. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?

Mentioned above

6. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.

Mentioned above by saying Z68 motherboard and Crucial M4 SSD

7. What resolution output do you need?

Mentioned above

8. Does this system need to fit into a particular space?

No

9. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring?
What? I'm buying a fucking case, not rewiring my house for off grid solar power!

10. How important is the noise/silence of this sytem?

Kind of important. I believe it will be sitting on top of my desk in the corner.

11. How mobile does this system need to be?

Doesn't have to be mobile at all.

12. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Yes sir

13. When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

When I'm done being interrogated!

I think the video card is even not needed.
You can have dual monitor with corei3 integrated graphics and it will read 1080p.
And your power consumption will be also lowered as the temperature inside the case.

The only question is winamp visualisation, is it really gpu accelerated or cpu ?
If gpu, the integrated graphics should be enough no ?

For the ssd, i would go for cheaper, like vertex2, it's already very fast.

Then, you can get a smaller case than that :).

I think the video card is even not needed.
You can have dual monitor with corei3 integrated graphics and it will read 1080p.
And your power consumption will be also lowered as the temperature inside the case.

The only question is winamp visualisation, is it really gpu accelerated or cpu ?
If gpu, the integrated graphics should be enough no ?

For the ssd, i would go for cheaper, like vertex2, it's already very fast.

Then, you can get a smaller case than that :).

I may consider (at least try it out) the integrated graphics route. However Winamp visualizations are important to me and I'm not sure if it's GPU or CPU intensive at the moment. The lowered power consumption is worth the test at the least though. The smaller case sounds awesome but in all honesty I don't think I can find a classier smaller case, I've tried. I'm up for recommendations on smaller cases if you have one though.

As for the SSD, it stays...lol. It doesn't take up a lot of room. :D
The smaller case is exciting but I just have doubts as to finding one I really like.

I may consider (at least try it out) the integrated graphics route. However Winamp visualizations are important to me and I'm not sure if it's GPU or CPU intensive at the moment. The lowered power consumption is worth the test at the least though. The smaller case sounds awesome but in all honesty I don't think I can find a classier smaller case, I've tried. I'm up for recommendations on smaller cases if you have one though.

As for the SSD, it stays...lol. It doesn't take up a lot of room. :D
The smaller case is exciting but I just have doubts as to finding one I really like.
seriously?
my 6 year old computer runs winamp visualizations on my 1080 just fine

seriously?
my 6 year old computer runs winamp visualizations on my 1080 just fine

(Shrugs) Actually yeah...lol. I just wanted to make sure though! :p

Moving on...

I also just realized I may be able to go with the i3 2125 instead of the i3-2120T
and possibly under-clock it to get it back into the i3-2120T's much lower TDP range.
If so, I'd end up with the same low power yet very sufficient CPU but with the Intel's HD Graphics 3000 chip instead of the Intel HD Graphics 2000 chip.
All for only a few bucks more too.

Then I'll probably go with the Antec ISK 300-150 Mini-ITX Desktop case instead of the one I mentioned earlier as well.
Although I do wish there was a sexier one out that's around that size. :(

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Build looks good -- I think you'd be fine w/o a vid card for what you want to do, especially if you got one with an HD3000. At those power usage rates, you could also go with a pico PSU if you wanted to reduce the noise / space requirements further. I run a 65W i3 on a 102w power brick (w/ 120watt pico) with no issues.

Build looks good -- I think you'd be fine w/o a vid card for what you want to do, especially if you got one with an HD3000. At those power usage rates, you could also go with a pico PSU if you wanted to reduce the noise / space requirements further. I run a 65W i3 on a 102w power brick (w/ 120watt pico) with no issues.

This SFF stuff is all new to me so I never heard of pico PSU's but just to confirm, this below right.

http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/it.A/id.417/.f

Just so I know I have it right, it'd be like having 90 +120 = 210 watt of supplied power but it keeps things small, right?

This SFF stuff is all new to me so I never heard of pico PSU's but just to confirm, this below right.

http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/it.A/id.417/.f

Just so I know I have it right, it'd be like having 90 +120 = 210 watt of supplied power but it keeps things small, right?

It would replace the case's PSU, so you'd have 120W rather than 90W, assuming you got an AC adapter brick that could supply the picoPSU 120W.

why would a "max" TDP of 65w (and in reality it never comes close to the TDP, based on reviews) be pushing it on a 90w?

though the HD3000 is still not the greatest of GPU's an AMD llano might be an option

The main reason as of right now keeping me away from the "isk 100" or the "isk 310-150" is the fact you can't even install one 3.5'" HDD in them. I'm also not sure I want to spend $100 on a 5,400rpm 1TB 2.5" drive just to get some decent storage. Unless I come across another case that's new to market and not on Newegg (lol) I think I may go with the SilverStone SG06B Aluminum/SECC SFX 300 W case.

why would a "max" TDP of 65w (and in reality it never comes close to the TDP, based on reviews) be pushing it on a 90w?

though the HD3000 is still not the greatest of GPU's an AMD llano might be an option
Now that you mention it, it probably would suffice. I've even went back and reconsidered the case. However, a part me of is just confused right now (where do I really want to go with this) because when it comes to high capacity storage you'll be paying more for less by going with a super small mini itx case.

Gonna keep looking

The main reason as of right now keeping me away from the "isk 100" or the "isk 310-150" is the fact you can't even install one 3.5'" HDD in them. I'm also not sure I want to spend $100 on a 5,400rpm 1TB 2.5" drive just to get some decent storage. Unless I come across another case that's new to market and not on Newegg (lol) I think I may go with the SilverStone SG06B Aluminum/SECC SFX 300 W case.

Now that you mention it, it probably would suffice. I've even went back and reconsidered the case. However, a part me of is just confused right now (where do I really want to go with this) because when it comes to high capacity storage you'll be paying more for less by going with a super small mini itx case.

Gonna keep looking

If you forgo the optical drive, you might be able to get a 3.5" drive in, I have the ISK 310-150, with no 3.5" so I can't be sure but I think you should be able to do it if you move stuff around abit. YMMV

(Shrugs) Actually yeah...lol. I just wanted to make sure though! :p

Moving on...

I also just realized I may be able to go with the i3 2125 instead of the i3-2120T
and possibly under-clock it to get it back into the i3-2120T's much lower TDP range.
If so, I'd end up with the same low power yet very sufficient CPU but with the Intel's HD Graphics 3000 chip instead of the Intel HD Graphics 2000 chip.
All for only a few bucks more too.

Then I'll probably go with the Antec ISK 300-150 Mini-ITX Desktop case instead of the one I mentioned earlier as well.
Although I do wish there was a sexier one out that's around that size. :(

If you were going to go with the silverstone case you might as well have gotten a full height video card (budget permitting)

Not sure I'd even risk only having a 90 watt PSU even in a mini itx build.
I mean the CPU I want to use has a 65 watt TDP already, this would just be pushing it.

Without a video card, on LGA 1155 with a 65W CPU (or 35/45W for T versions) you'd be WELL within the rated power output of that PSU: 2.5" drives use very little power, RAM uses very little power, the chips on the motherboard use very little power. This isn't 1366 where you dump 30W for the IOH - there is no IOH.

Back