Help Creating A VPN

Heres the scoop: I need to create a VPN, the primary purpose of playing games with my friend who lives right up the street from me however, since he is a dad now he doesn't have a lot of time to leave the house and come play games anymore.

We both run windows xp professional and have fairly fast internet connections (1.5 down and 256(him) 768(me) up).

Tried using the windows connection making wizard thing and we can get connected to each others computers but when we go and load up the lan lobby in the game we cant see each other.... so maybe we just need to tweak with the settings or something I dont know.

I work for Safeco Insurance and often use Nortel Connectivity VPN Client to connect to the programs and services on my works network from home and that is pretty fast so I know its not a connection problem...

Thought maybe it had to do with out firewalls, but it doesn't as we have tried to play with that every which way.

Anyways... any suggestions on how we can get a secure private connection between our two computers so that we can play games and stuff?

Windows 2000 server (or specialized, expensive hardware) supports VPN , but I think that's waaaaay beyond what you need.

Keep fiddling with the firewall. Find out what ports you need or call your ISP and explain to them the problems you're having, and I bet you can get the problem fixed sans VPN.

xp allows incoming connections and can act as a VPN server have you tried fiddlig with that?

why would you need to create a VPN for gaming?? you should be able to make a direct connection using the IP address of each other, without any need for anything else

this of course depends on the game itself :)

yes if u are playing a game of cs or somthing why not create a server and password it! Simple ! lol

Or you could use smoothwall but its a right pain to setup!

What game are you trying to play? Cause most case you can just use the TCP/IP... no need for LAN... but it is pretty kool. www.clarkconnect.com check that out, if you have a spare computer. Otherwise check out some VPN software and install that. As well as Windows XP... make sure you have your Ports Forwarded like the other guy said.

C&C generals and Starscraft are the games we play most but not all the time. Umm... cant use battle.net or anything like that because.... well I shouldn't say or you may not support this issue.

Umm anyways... What I need is something that will basically create a tunnel between our two computers and make it seem as if he were in the same room as me and we can get connected like we were on the same network

Most ISPs don't let you create servers anyways. I know where I am, if we do anything remotely like this, they will call and tell us to shut it off from the internet.

Mine should let me... He has comcast so they may not, but I have speakeasy (Build by gamers and sys-admins for gamers and sys admins)

Anyways... if someone could give me some non-linux instructions on how to use that thing (got it installed now I just need to know how to connect us).

Yeah, Comcast is what we used to have, they are the ones who called us. Maybe Speakeasy will allow you to do that. May want to call first and ask?

dont call first and ask. duh. thats silly, they will say no in a heartbeat. look in the end user agreement, or the terms of service agreement on thier website, see what they say. My ISP forbids all servers on my 'home connection', but i run several. meh if they call me saying to shut them down, ill say i have a busienss class connection, and see what they do :/

Back