• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HELP! CPUs crushed? Still flawless...

Spare-Flair

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 4, 2003
Messages
7,471
How do I know if I've damaged a CPU?

Today I took out my 1900+XP and replaced it with a mobile 2500+ but it failed to post despite everything I did. There simply was no image on the monitor and the bios did not beep.

Frustrated, angry, and slightly dejected, I took it out and reinstalled the original 1900+ and again, the computer refused to post. And the monitor light simply blinks in defiance of me.

The bios isn't beeping for either CPU and the computer was working right before I removed the 1900+ for the first time. The power goes on, I hear a harddrive click, but there is no further activity.

I desperately need to use my desktop computer for work I need to get done but now I seemingly have two CPUs that seem to be dead and I'm beginning to panic. I've ruled out RAM as a problem and the motherboard seems fine. I've pulled out bios jumpers, replaced the battery, shut down the computer for long lengths of time, and disconnected and reconnected everything else.

What could possibly be wrong? Did I inarvertantly crush the CPUs with my Volcano 7? How can I tell? I used Arctic Silver 5 for both and both CPU's still have a flawless die surface. The bridges are also fine and I was careful not to get any silver on anything other than the CPU die (even though Arctic Silver 5 is largely non-conductive). From eyeballing it, I can see nothing qualitatively wrong with either CPUs. I don't have any CPU shims but I've never had trouble installing CPUs before. I just locked the Volcano 7's clip and pushed the front down with a flathead screwdriver as always onto the 3 socket latches. Could I have pushed with too much force? I didn't hear any crunching noises or anything.

I'm out of time and literally quite broke, I can't afford another replacement and I'm afraid of installing another one lest I damage it too. What's going on? Can anybody help me? I'm starting to panic because I need to use my desktop for some work and I can't access the harddrive from this laptop. My biggest concern however, is being out $200-$300 for two ruined CPUs, plus replacement or even a replacement motherboard. How can I diagnose what's wrong without bringing it to a shop and having them charge me exhorbitant fees? What can I do? Where's the crying emoticon? :confused:

Thanks.
 
Holy COW that sux.

You do have some issues. Here are some really quick suggestions:

1) pull all PCI cards out
2) use only one stick of memory
3) disconnect floppy/HDD cables
4) clear the CMOS (again, I know-- make sure you don't leave it on "clear CMOS" or the damn thing will not boot)
5) check all jumpers on the motherboard (you could have knocked one off)
6) reset the power cable on the motherboard
7) make sure the AGP vid card is pushed in all the way


...then insert new CPU in, and give it a shot. Minimize the possible variables by doing the above, and at least you will have eliminated some possibilites.

The next step is part-swaping, but you will need another athlon board (have any friends close by?).

Good luck.

-Skystalker
 
Most pc stores dont charge a whole lot just to test a motherboard, it may be 20 bucks or something. if they charge more than say..30 go somewhere else.

other than that, the last post summed it up well.
 
Do you have a fan plugged into the CPU fan header on the motherboard?
If you cleard CMOS it may may be set to shut down if there is no CPU fan RPM detected.
You could plug in any fan with a 3 wire plug to test it (doesn't need to be from your CPU).
 
did you say mobile 2500+ is this in a desktop mobo? dont mobile processors use considerably lower voltage?

still doesnt explain why the original processor doesnt work again
 
Originally posted by BBnet3000
did you say mobile 2500+ is this in a desktop mobo? dont mobile processors use considerably lower voltage?

still doesnt explain why the original processor doesnt work again

they should still be able to handle the (1.65v???) defualt voltage of the motheroard. And isn't it autodetected by the mobo?
 
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've borrowed a friend's 1600+ for the time being and everything seems to work so I believe the problem is with the 1900+ and the 2500+ M. I still haven't diagnosed the problem that caused the to fail but it increasingly appears my board won't work with the 2500+ without an RMA and I suppose the 1900+ is just damaged although I can see no physical signs.

I guess I'm gonna be searching for a new board for the 2500+M. Suggestions?
 
I've cleared the CMOS, played with all the jumpers, pulled out the battery, nothing has changed. My best guess is that it's simply board incomptibility (I have an early revision that needs physical RMA, Bios flash won't help) and a damaged CPU.
 
Did you take any sort of anti-static precautions before handling the CPUs?
 
check that there is a fan put in the cpu fan power connector
 
Back
Top