HELP, CPU won't clocl to normal speeds!!?!

laxjax13

Limp Gawd
just recently i underclocked my 2.53 down to 1.90 gigs because my pc was overheating and i thought this would allow it to run a little cooler.

well i got a more powerful PSU and a new HSF, so i started slowly upping the FSB untill i would get to 133.
well over the past few days i have been upping the FSB by 1's and 2's. well when i get to 110 FSB the computer freezes if i go 1 point after. the PC speed gets up to 2.10 and the chip is a 2.53 gig chip so i dont know what the problem can be. so plz help me! can it have something to do with voltage?

Specs:

P4 - 2.53g, 533 mhz FSB | ATI Radeon 9800 | Kingston 1024 Pc2100 RAM | 80GB WD 7200RPM | Creative SB Live! | Shuttle as45gt/r MoBo | ThermalTake 420w PurePower |

You sure it's overheating?

Assuming you've checked the temperature and it is is above normal (30-50 is acceptable at idle), then most likely your heatsink is not on properly. Check if the heatsink is crooked, or if you or the manufacturer forgot to peel off the foil thing protecting the thermal gunk. Take it off, examine the thermal gunk, and remount it.

Otherways... environment, is it unusually hot where the computer is?

Else you have a mislabeled, fraudlent or defective cpu, but I bet it's one of the above.

Edit: Check if your RAM isn't set to run faster than your FSB, that would make it too fast.
Edit: Noticed you have a shottle, does it use the funky heatpipe thing? Might want to check if that is not damaged, and what kind of thermal interface material it uses.

Normally theres either a jumper on the board or you change your fsb from 100 mhz to 133 mhz in the bios.

This switches the fsb devider from 3 to 4 putting the pci bus back in spec (33 mhz).

By upping the fsb in 1's and 2's you keep the 3 devider and your pci bus is going to far out of spec (36 mhz) causeing the comp to freeze.

Edit. Unless you have a locked pci bus.

Luck........:D

Back