• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help, cpu running extremely hot

Igottabull

n00b
Joined
Jan 29, 2002
Messages
19
I just put together this system, finally got it up and running. P4 630, ABIT AL8V, 2 512 mb Kingston ddr2 667 sticks. The CPU is idling in the mid to high 60s C, and of course will lock up whenever it really starts working. I'm using the stock heatsink and fan that came with the processor right. I was hoping to overclock it but I'm a rookie, so I was going to research for a while and was hoping to get away with using the stock for a couple months, but I guess I'm going to have to do something now. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
 
Definetly need to reseat that HSF! You need to make sure the thermal paste or compound that bonds the HSF to the CPU is applied correctly and there is good contact.
 
I reseated it, looks like you guys were right. It's down to idling around 50 now. Will that be ok for a few weeks while I learn what the hell I'm doing? :eek: How low should I expect from a retail hs/fan?
 
I'm not familiar with the stock temps for your specific CPU, but I would like to think it should idle lower than that. I could be wrong, however. I would look into purchasing some Artic Silver 5 thermal compound and a better HSF as soon as you can.
 
Ok, I just ordered a tube of AS5, I'm going to do some research on the rest, might buy a new case and stuff too. Thanks guys.
 
I am not exactly familiar with IntHell CPUs but it seems a bit hot. I do know that the PressHott CPUs idle in the mid 40s, but 50s seem a bit high. But yes, do try some AS5, might drop your temps a few degrees, but it has to break in, you wont see the drop until after a few weeks.
 
make sure your case has plenty of cooling capability, ie intake and exhaust fans.
 
Didn't the fire marshall say something about the heat produced by the prescott's, and recommend keeping a fire extinguisher near by?
 
Back
Top