Help Connecting Wireless Router (USB Modem)

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
I own the D-Link DIR-615 Router which I use with my Virgin Media NTL cable modem (Ethernet). My dad wanted to go wireless so I recommended him the same Router I use which he has now purchased to go with his Virgin Media DSL 4MB connection (Thomson Speedtouch 330 modem) but there is a problem. The Router only has a connection for an Ethernet port but the modem is USB based with no connection for an Ethernet cable. What can be done here? Is it possible to use another modem? one with an Ethernet connection? or perhaps an adapter/converter can be purchased to turn USB into an Ethernet connection?

Thanks for any help

thomsonspeedtouch330dsl.jpg

dlinkdir615.jpg

I think he is going to have to replace the modem with one that has an RJ45 WAN jack. You can get USB NICs but they connect to the PCs USB port and require drivers to work. They won't convert the modems USB to WAN jack.

I think he is going to have to replace the modem with one that has an RJ45 WAN jack. You can get USB NICs but they connect to the PCs USB port and require drivers to work. They won't convert the modems USB to WAN jack.

Hi,

Do you have any recommendations for a modem with Ethernet port? Will any do? Or does a cheap one produce slower than capable speeds or unrealible connection?

Sorry can't help you there, my cable modem is supplied by my ISP. There isn't anyone locally that even stocks them. For what its worth what I have is a Motorola Surfboard SB5101 Cable Modem. It worked fine with my DIR-615 and the DIR-655 that I have now.

the ISP should have a different modem they could provide him.

back when I worked for an ISP, we had 3 different brands, with various models (different areas had different DSLAM equipment/requirements)

the ISP should have a different modem they could provide him.

back when I worked for an ISP, we had 3 different brands, with various models (different areas had different DSLAM equipment/requirements)

What do you recommend? Would you think it's worth my time to call the ISP on my dads behalf and ask if they can provide an Ethernet alternative? or should I just randomly buy an Ethernet compatible modem?

Does his ISP supply the modem for free? If so ask them to swap it out for one that works with an Ethernet connection. I wouldn't run out and buy one without checking to see if he is allowed to use his own cable modem. My ISP supplies my modem and as far as I know I couldn't use my own even if I wanted too.

Yes, the modem came with the ISP. I just rang them and asked and they said the existing modem will not work for wireless and recommended I purchase this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000TZ8...ive=7966&creativeASIN=B0000TZ8Z8&linkCode=asn

They said they also sell it on their website. If my dad purchases this, my dad would have no use for the D-Link router but I guess he could sell it to get his money back. What does everyone think of this? The man mentioned my dad would need an adapter or something to get wireless, what is that about? I see the modem/router above has an Antenna and it is wireless so.... ???

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The one you linked too is only "G" 54 Mbps by the way. The D-Link is "N" 300 Mbps assuming you have an "N" wireless adapter in the PC. When he says you need an adapter, what he means is the PC has to have a wireless card or wireless USB adapter to use the wireless side of the router.

The one you linked too is only "G" 54 Mbps by the way. The D-Link is "N" 300 Mbps assuming you have an "N" wireless adapter in the PC. When he says you need an adapter, what he means is the PC has to have a wireless card or wireless USB adapter to use the wireless side of the router.

I don't understand about this wireless adapter. I own the D-Link also, and I just plug my cable modem into the back of the router, and plug the router into the back of my PC and it works wirelessly.. no USB adapter or wireless card. Why is this not the case for my dad?

I'm sure his onboard NIC supports 'N', it's a Gigabtye GA-MA770T motherboard.

About the speed, my dads Internet connection is only 4MB so 54MB is plenty. Can you think of any way my dad can use this D-Link?

If you are connecting your PC to one of the LAN jacks on the router that is a wired (Ethernet) connection not a wireless (wifi) connection. Wireless implies no wires between the router and your PC. The LAN jacks on the DIR-615 support up to 100 Mbps. If your NIC supports 100 BASE-T speeds you can get up to 100 Mbps. Wireless speeds are dependent on the type or wireless you have. The Wireless "G" standard supports up to 54 Mbps. The new "N" standard supports up to 300 Mbps. The PC has to have a wireless adapter to connect to the wireless network. Most laptops sold today have wireless network capabilities built into them. It could be G or N, depends on the laptop and what wireless chip set is in it. D-Link for instance makes USB, PCI, PCIe and card bus wireless adapters to fit just about any PC or laptop if you want to upgrade or add wifi to. As far as internet goes "G" will be fine. As far as your LAN goes, if you transfer any large files from PC to PC the faster the better. Thats were N will shine.

If you still want to use the D-link just buy a regular cable modem with no router or wireless built into it that has an Ethernet jack. Oh and I hope you have logged into your router and set the admin password. You will also want to ether turn the wireless off if you are not going to use it or encrypt it so all your neighbors can't connect to your network. If you haven't logged into your router and just left it at the factory defaults all I can say is :eek: .

Thanks for your information alpha. I don't want the actual modem to be wireless, I just want it to broadcast a wireless signal so wireless devices like a laptop, DS and Nokia N810 can access the Internet. It is ok if the connection between the PC and modem/router is wired. Don't worry, router is secured by WPA/WPA2 with good encryption key.

If you still want to use the D-link just buy a regular cable modem with no router or wireless built into it that has an Ethernet jack. Oh and I hope you have logged into your router and set the admin password. You will also want to ether turn the wireless off if you are not going to use it or encrypt it so all your neighbors can't connect to your network. If you haven't logged into your router and just left it at the factory defaults all I can say is .

So I can just buy any old modem and it will work with the D-Link? My dad does not have cable, he has DSL (I think ADSL). Still buy any old modem?

Last edited:
You don't have to use the wireless signal from the router. You could go all wireless all wired or mix them. I have one PC plugged into one of the LAN jacks and two using the wifi on my DIR-655. I'll eventually go all wireless once I pick up one more DWA-552.

I would think that any DSL modem that supports Ethernet should work. It's just standard networking protocols (tcpip). It will still work even if it has a router built in. You can normally disable that function by putting the modem in bridge mode and then use your own router. I've never done it myself, I haven't had a need to. I'm on cable and all my ISP provides is a cable modem with no router. I have friends that have DSL and what they got was a modem router combo with wireless. I'm quit happy to use my own router and not have to worry about how the modem is configured.

Well I am looking into getting my dad a wired ethernet modem and using the already purchased D-Link wireless router to provide mobile devices wireless Internet. From this information, what modem would people here recommend? I am not interested in one with built in router as I already have a router here ready to go. I understand the router built into the modem could be disabled but still, that drives up the cost of the modem.

If I hear no recommendations, I would have to pick one blindly I guess, or read some reviews.

I feel out of my depth here, I just been looking at modem only devices for ADSL and they cost around £40-£70. The router already purchased was £50 and I can get a new router with built in modem for around £60. Is it best to just sell the D-Link router and purchase a router + modem in 1 device? This would be the cheapest it seems.

The only cheap modem I can find supports up to 8MB which is far too slow.

Sorry I can't help you much with recommending a modem. I'm on cable and my modem is provided by my ISP. Those that I know that are on DSL also have their modem supplied by their ISP. That 8 Mbps speed should be more than enough for your fathers 4 Mbps DSL service. That 8 Mbps isn't going to cap you router to 8 Mbps. You won't go above it if you are downloading from the internet but file transfers from PC to PC on the LAN side can still go as high as 100 Mbps.

Sorry I can't help you much with recommending a modem. I'm on cable and my modem is provided by my ISP. Those that I know that are on DSL also have their modem supplied by their ISP. That 8 Mbps speed should be more than enough for your fathers 4 Mbps DSL service. That 8 Mbps isn't going to cap you router to 8 Mbps. You won't go above it if you are downloading from the internet but file transfers from PC to PC on the LAN side can still go as high as 100 Mbps.

An 8MB modem is not acceptable as Broadband is getting faster all the time. I already have 10MB at my location, my dads location will be upgraded in the future no doubt, it doesn't leave any room for expansion.

I think I will sell the D-Link on eBay and purchase an all in one ADSL modem with Router. Any recommendations for this?

I decided to keep the D-Link DIR-615 Wireless Router and purchased a D-Link DSL-320B ADSL modem. Everything is working fine for my dad so thanks all!

Back