help configuring dlink DIR-655

THRESHIN

2[H]4U
so i have a d-link DIR-655 router. read somewhere that its supposed to be a good one, but i can't seem to get a smooth connection out of it.

problems i'm getting:

- momentary lag when access a new IP (ie. different site in a browser)

- this comes up with streaming video. it'll start, then stall for a short time and pick up again

- glitchy wireless connections. it tends to drop the wireless signal sometimes, but not always. sometimes requires a restart. this router seems to take a while to restart but then it always did.

- any application which makes a lot of connections (ie. torrent) tends to slow the entire network down to a crawl. not always, but usually.

firmware has been updated to latest version.

so any ideas would be appreciated of what i can check/modify here. some further info:

- on a 5MB DSL connection, so the bandwidth isn't insanely high. usually speedtests at around 4300kbit with no issues regarding the ping or packet loss.

- wired connection to the router works much better. sometimes i'll be on wired going just fine (except for that lag i described) and my roommate will be having a terrible time on wireless with his laptop.

- i have noticed in the router logs that it sometimes blocks an incoming IP/port to my roommates computer. comes up almost every time streaming video. i have a slew of these blocked packets, i'm assuming the problem lies there!

config info:

- gave the roommate a static ip in an attempt to help the issue, didn't seem to work. the router was reassigning him the IP constantly and at least that was resolved...but not tangible usage difference.

- virtual server: off
- no application rules
- QOS: Enable Traffic Shaping and Automatic Uplink Speed are on. QOS Engine Setup: Enable QoS Engine and Automatic Classification are on, Dynamic Fragmentation is off.
- nothing in network filters, website filters, access control, routing or inbound filters.
- Firewall Settings: SPI disabled, UDP Endpoint Filtering and TCP Endpoint Filtering are both set to Address Restricted, Anti Spoof Checking is off (seemed to help a tad), no DMZ is set. Application Level Gateway (ALG) Configuration: PPTP and IPSec (VPN) are off, RTSP and SIP are on.
- WISH is on, only priority is set to HTTP.
- Advanced Network: UPnP is on. WAN ping respond is off, as is multicast streams
- Guest zone is disabled.

wireless IS set up with a password.

thats about it really, unless there is something i've missed here! shouldn't be any problem with viruses. every system has some form of anti-virus. similar problems with an xbox 360 on wireless as well.

thanks for any help guys, tried to detail this as best as possible. i'm really not so great with networking!

I went through 2 of those routers over the corse of maybe a year to a year and a half.

Basically the first the wifi would stop broadcasting, I'd have to powercycle it get it back up and running.

The second one the wifi would stop broadcasting and the LAN side would disconnect.

You already ugraded firmware otherwise try a hard reset and try setting up again, otherwise if you continue to have issues its prob the router.

It may be an application using a certain port? Try to find which port that application may be using and use port forward? Just a guess on your issue since it was my problem with gaming and other applications.

I have the same Router and it has been nothing but great for me.

Back