There is a very strange problem going on with my brothers computer. This is exactly how he describes the problem:
It all started yesterday when I plugged my MP3 player into one of the front USB ports. The computer immediately froze, everything from the mouse to the music that was playing. Restarted the computer and the blue Win XP loading bar froze and would not boot into windows. Eventually I managed to get into safe mode after disconnecting all my usb devices, including my mouse. I opened device manager and found one of those yellow icons by the PnP Bios extension. I disabled that and was able to boot into windows, but still without any USB devices. I eventually managed to reinstall PnP bios extensions to get the yellow icon to go away. Also one of my USB ports in the device manager had transformed into an "unknown device" and windows would shit itself whenever it detected it. I then went into the BIOS for my ASUS P4P800 and changed the active number of USB ports from 8 to 4, since I really only had 4 in the first place. I pressed Exit and Save changes. My screen went black and the computer didn't do anything. I restarted it and now I get no display at all. I hear the hardrives spinning up as well as the CDROM drives. I've swapped my 9800Pro with an old geforce 2 PCI card and it still doesn't work. I've tried various boot disks for windows, knoppix, or bios recovery disks and none of them fix the problem. I've also cleared the CMOS several times and tested my monitor with another computer.
My specs:
P4 3Ghz
Asus P4P800
Radeon 9800Pro with a geforce 2 currently in it's place.
Win XP SP2
1GB of ram, of which I've swapped in and out several times.
So I was hoping someone would have any advice as to how I could get my display back, since right now I can't see shit what's happening on the screen, so I'm limited to playing around with the hardware. If there's nothing else I can do I'm going to the store tomorrow to get a new power supply and motherboard.
It all started yesterday when I plugged my MP3 player into one of the front USB ports. The computer immediately froze, everything from the mouse to the music that was playing. Restarted the computer and the blue Win XP loading bar froze and would not boot into windows. Eventually I managed to get into safe mode after disconnecting all my usb devices, including my mouse. I opened device manager and found one of those yellow icons by the PnP Bios extension. I disabled that and was able to boot into windows, but still without any USB devices. I eventually managed to reinstall PnP bios extensions to get the yellow icon to go away. Also one of my USB ports in the device manager had transformed into an "unknown device" and windows would shit itself whenever it detected it. I then went into the BIOS for my ASUS P4P800 and changed the active number of USB ports from 8 to 4, since I really only had 4 in the first place. I pressed Exit and Save changes. My screen went black and the computer didn't do anything. I restarted it and now I get no display at all. I hear the hardrives spinning up as well as the CDROM drives. I've swapped my 9800Pro with an old geforce 2 PCI card and it still doesn't work. I've tried various boot disks for windows, knoppix, or bios recovery disks and none of them fix the problem. I've also cleared the CMOS several times and tested my monitor with another computer.
My specs:
P4 3Ghz
Asus P4P800
Radeon 9800Pro with a geforce 2 currently in it's place.
Win XP SP2
1GB of ram, of which I've swapped in and out several times.
So I was hoping someone would have any advice as to how I could get my display back, since right now I can't see shit what's happening on the screen, so I'm limited to playing around with the hardware. If there's nothing else I can do I'm going to the store tomorrow to get a new power supply and motherboard.