Help! Computer not turning on post-vacay

cbliss1000

Limp Gawd
Hello -- having just returned from 2 weeks away, I was alarmed when my build wouldn't boot upon my return. Nothing at all when I push the power button--no fans, beeps, nothing.

I removed the PSU (1 year old Seasonic SS-660XP) and it failed the paperclip test; I figured the unit went bad or absorbed a surge or something, and promptly picked up a EVGA 750G2 from my local Microcenter as I wait for the RMA.

However, the computer still won't boot. The PSU will turn on, but when I push the power button the PSU goes silent and nothing posts.

What does that suggest? What is my best course of action? Could something else have been harmed?

If it was a surge it likely killed the whole system.

Do you have any other parts to swap out?

If it was a surge it likely killed the whole system.

Do you have any other parts to swap out?

Various things I suppose, GPU, hard drives, etc.

The (probably cheap) surge protector it was plugged into still seems to work--not sure if that rules out a surge, but it's a point of information.

Put the hard drive into another computer or a USB cage and see if you have any data!

Update: it has been resolved! Whatever fried the Seasonic also compromised one of the cables, which was preventing the system from booting up. Lesson learned: always replace all of your cables when you replace the PSU.

Update: it has been resolved! Whatever fried the Seasonic also compromised one of the cables, which was preventing the system from booting up. Lesson learned: always replace all of your cables when you replace the PSU.
This! Especially because even though the connectors may fit, brand X may be wired differently than brand Y. And brand Z model 1 may be different than brand Z model 2!

Good Seasonic. You sacrificed yourself to save the rest of the system.

This really got me thinking about how I've been using a UPS on my desktop for maybe 7-8 years now and I've had a pretty good run on all my hardware since that time. Local power isn't terrible but not great either and I'm definitely always going to have one going forward.

did you retry the "bad" psu with the now known good cable? maybe it was just that?
nm I just re-read the thread a little closer. glad you got it goin!

Back