Help Choosing Pump

ForeverUnknown

Limp Gawd
Ok i'm planning on building a water system for myself. Here's what i have so far.

D-Tek White Water Cpu Block
DangerDen Maze4 Chipset Block
DangerDen Ice Micro II Radiator (maybe something else)
Bay-Rez (probably, not sure yet)
add in some tubing

now i'm not sure what pump to get. i want it to run off of the psu. I know eheim are good but the 12v ones are pretty expensive. I was wondering if there were better performing pumps out there that costed less.

oh right now i'm using a big Antec SOHO File Server case but i MIGHT switch to a lian-li pc-65b

With all that constricting gear, you'll need a pump with really high head. The Swiftech MCP600 is what I have and I love it. It outperformas almost any pump in high-head situations.

i only have experience with danner and eheim pumps. i've had 2 eheim pumps and i absolutly love them. the heat and magnetic shielding alone make the eheim worth the price. i have a eheim 1250 in use right now and its going strong even after 3 years of almost constant use. best $60 i spent for all of my computer, outside of my 530w psu and 21" trinitron becuase i know i will never replace them

Yogi said:
With all that constricting gear, you'll need a pump with really high head. The Swiftech MCP600 is what I have and I love it.

I second that vote. Its pretty quiet to.

If you don't care about noise though, Danger Den's 12V pump they sell has a decent bit better performance, but it is also fairly loud though. Either of those pumps will do you well for that equipment though. :)

I had a Danner#3 and switched to a MCP-600. I would highly recomend the Swifty pump over the Eheim and Danner. IMO only an Iwaki would really out perform it in head, flow and quality. ;)

I just got my WCing rig up and running with my Swifty MCP6000 pump.... I can't hear it over the 2 quiet fans left in my case, and it's pumping enough for me to get idle temps of 26c, and they'll probably get lower considering the time that it takes for Artic Silver 5 to set. I've had great results with this pump, and highly recommend it.

cypher_138 said:
I had a Danner#3 and switched to a MCP-600. I would highly recomend the Swifty pump over the Eheim and Danner. IMO only an Iwaki would really out perform it in head, flow and quality. ;)

Well, if you look at the PQ curves, the Laing D4 that Danger Den sells outperforms the MCP600 as well. Its just significantly louder...

Dark Ember said:
Well, if you look at the PQ curves, the Laing D4 that Danger Den sells outperforms the MCP600 as well. Its just significantly louder...
I was just looking at that.:D That's what I meant by "quality" at the end.
Danger Den makes some great products without a doubt. Swifty's edge is they have Bill Adams on their staff now. ;)
My only gripe with these 12V pumps is it's a pain to flush your system. I use an old Danner for that.

Well, just because the pump is loud, doesn't mean that it isn't a good quality pump.

Cathar will tell you that: he's using a D4 in at least one of his rigs right now.

But I certainly agree that its a pain to flush out your system with a 12V pump. Thats the only reason that I still have an old AT power supply laying around... ;)

Dark Ember said:
Well, just because the pump is loud, doesn't mean that it isn't a good quality pump.

Cathar will tell you that: he's using a D4 in at least one of his rigs right now.

But I certainly agree that its a pain to flush out your system with a 12V pump. Thats the only reason that I still have an old AT power supply laying around... ;)
To be honest with you I recently learned about that pump myself. You are right though about it being a great pump after further reading. ;)

The 12v pump on dteks site is the same exact pump as the swifty version. I've had both the 1250 and Dteks 12v and find Dteks much better as far as vibration/noise and it runs cooler.

yeah i decided to buy they swify/aquaxtreme. lol and i also changed my mind on like every part. now i'm going:

swifty MCW6002-P cpu block
Pro-120 Hi Performance Radiator from d-tek
no chipset block.

makes everything a tad cheaper now ;) ok thanks for the input guys

Yogi said:
With all that constricting gear, you'll need a pump with really high head. The Swiftech MCP600 is what I have and I love it. It outperformas almost any pump in high-head situations.

almost any pump in high head situations? that statement needs to be toned down quite a bit. "it outperforms most pumps that cost less than $80 which are commonly used in watercooling systems" might be a better way to put that -- unless someone can show me a mcp600 that can move more than 714gph thru 1" ID tube at 4 feet of head [the original rainbow lifeguard quiet one] or one that will take an Iwaki MD20 or MD30 rzt in a high head situation or a Laing D4 if you want to limit it to 12v or...[fill in the blank with several others]

the mcp600 is a nice pump, but, there are several pumps that will hand it an asshat in a high head situation.

ForeverUnknown said:
yeah i decided to buy they swify/aquaxtreme. lol and i also changed my mind on like every part. now i'm going:

swifty MCW6002-P cpu block
Pro-120 Hi Performance Radiator from d-tek
no chipset block.

makes everything a tad cheaper now ;) ok thanks for the input guys
if you have the space available in your case for a larger heatercore:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=304440

so this pump is the same thing swifty uses? also how good is the damn thing versus the eheim 1250 (which im useing now) and that laing that danger den sells....how loud is the thing really? compaired to the 1250?
is it vibration loud or impeller moving water loud?

ph-pc-pqcurves.gif

Hope that's helpful for ya.

Visable-assassin said:
and that laing that danger den sells....how loud is the thing really? compaired to the 1250?

Thats actually the pump I'm using right now (the Laing D4, not the eheim). Its signifigantly louder than a 1250. It puts off this kind of "buzzing" noise, where in my experience, the 1250 is almost silent. I'm pretty sure its coming from the impeller, because even when i hold the pump in my hands to dampen the vibrations, it still puts out pretty much the same amount of noise. I could see it being very annoying to someone who is used to a very quiet computer... But mine was loud as hell with a 7k Delta, and like 15 other fans, so anything was an improvement over that. :)

The MCP600 is almost silent based on my experience with it. I had a Danner#3 before and that thing was a bit noisy. D-tek and switech may have sourced the same pump. I know that swifty made changes to the impeller and other aspects of it to make it quieter. Perhaps Dtek decided to leave it as is for a slight advantage at the cost of some noise. I'm merely speculating here though.;)

so since im interested in a new pump which should I consider. the swifty 6000 or the D-tek pump?
I could swing a Iwaki mdrz20 (whichever the japanese model is) but how much larger is it vs the eheim 1250 ive got now?

aite - I was bored and people seem to love the damn charts so I threw the original design of the rainbow lifeguard quiet one into the chart with the mag 3 and the mcp600. Flow is in GPH across the bottom and head is in feet up the left hand side as usual.

the RLQO was is one from the pre-pentair buy-out of rainbow era.
pchart.jpg

:D

Visable-assassin said:
so since im interested in a new pump which should I consider. the swifty 6000 or the D-tek pump?
I could swing a Iwaki mdrz20 (whichever the japanese model is) but how much larger is it vs the eheim 1250 ive got now?

If you can get the Iwaki for a good price, by all means get that thing!

If not, I would probably go with the swifty MCP600, or if you don't care about noise, the Laing D4 from Danger Den. Those are pretty much the most cost effective pumps you'll find for a WC setup.

But good lord, get an Iwaki if you can. You won't regret that purchase...

Dark Ember said:
If you can get the Iwaki for a good price, by all means get that thing!

If not, I would probably go with the swifty MCP600, or if you don't care about noise, the Laing D4 from Danger Den. Those are pretty much the most cost effective pumps you'll find for a WC setup.

But good lord, get an Iwaki if you can. You won't regret that purchase...

getting one is no problem I can afford it...its just how big is the thing that is wanna know...how much larger is it than my eheim 1250?
a side by side pic would simply kick ass.

Well, I don't have a picture, but heres the dimensions of both pumps for you to compare with:

Iwaki MD-20RZ

w - 106mm
h - 125mm
L - 211mm

Eheim 1250

w - 95mm ( 3.8" )
h - 120mm ( 4.7" )
l - 180mm ( 7.1" )

So, i guess that puts it in perspective at least a little. Just slightly larger width (centimeter) and slightly larger height (.5 cm), and 3 cm longer. I know its no picture, but its better than nothing! :)

Visable-assassin said:
so this pump is the same thing swifty uses? also how good is the damn thing versus the eheim 1250 (which im useing now) and that laing that danger den sells....how loud is the thing really? compaired to the 1250?

It is the same exact pump.

I would say this pump is 1/2 the noise of the Enheim 1250 and distroys the loud Laing DD is pimping. All I can say is this thing is quite and I have the Enheim 1250 (in the garage now).

The one thing I found interesting about the head pressure of this pump is how easy it is to fill the system compared to the 1250. It literally takes seconds to fill.

i've noticed no ones mentioned the hydor l35... it seems like a good pump, any reason no one recommends it?

I bought a well used Eheim 1250 from someone here a few months back. It's been pretty good and is very quiet on it's own but it does seem to suffer from a fair amount of vibration which can end up causing a lot of racket depending on where you put it. :)

Back