help choosing PSU

moose517

Gawd
hey guys i really need your help. i started building my current rig back in august and finished in february, since then my rig has never really been stable, thought that many parts were bad and have RMA'd just about everything and the problem still persists. The only thing left is the PSU which i can't rma due to the fact that i resleeved it LOL. when i try to boot my computer it starts to turn on and then just dies and i have to turn the PSU off and back on to try again. however after i do turn it back on if i wait like 2 hours and then push the power button it will semi-boot, but not all the way still, it just seems like it can't build up enough capacitance to get over that initial spike more or less.

Parts:
EVGA x58 classified 759
intel core i7 920
3x 2gb sticks of corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600mhz with a corsair dominator fan
2x evga GTX295's
EVGA 9800GT
intel Network Card
Creative x-fi titanium
Silverstone USB card reader
LG blu-ray buner
Lite-on DVD burner
2x OCZ 30gb SSD's
3x seagate 7200.11 HDD
2x Liang DDC3.2 pumps
17x 120mm fans
4x 80mm fans
and like 6 USB devices are attached at any time

I would prefer something that is single rail and can do all this with no problem. My current thermaltake 1000w PSU just isn't cutting it, won't power up. Thanks for your time and hope you don't mind this thread.

price range, just about anything at this point, i have sunk so much money in this rig already and am willing to spend what it takes to get it running again.

Enermax 1050 / 1200w, Corsair 1000HX, Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w... lots of options. You need serious juice for 4 GPUs though. I'd try to keep to a 1200w just for some breathing room.

Yah, he could. But, since he mentioned single +12v rail, I just mentioned the Turbo Cool 1200 that has a single +12v rail. Plus, he did not list a price range. I don't think price is an issue for him based on his hardware specs.

yeah there are 17 120mm fans, 15 of them are on my rads and the other 2 are on the motherboard.

Zero nailed this one on the PSU. I think this is the best bang for the buck you can get. But, don't buy it from NewEgg, get it from Zipzoomfly.com for $300 w/free shipping ($60 MIR)

Review from JohnnyGuru

Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194046

Not single-rail (not that it makes a single bit of difference), but it's the best consumer PSU you can get at the moment. Great efficiency, ripple suppression, and voltage regulation.

21 fans is beyond overkill, put a few in a good airflow position and take the rest off. Rads are made to dissipate heat, with good airflow you don't really need 4+ fans per rad. Have you tested booting without all the fans, or some other component(s)? Why do you have two awesome ssd cards and then thought you would need three crappy hard-drives?

This appears to be a gaming machine, take those things out of there. If you need a storage device or secondary drive on this awesome rig get a 150-300Gb raptor. If you need those three hard drives put them in external cases for network usb/Ethernet storage.

Reconfigure your fans, take out those unneeded hard-drives and I bet you will boot. With that many fans you might as well rip out your water cooling.

21 fans is beyond overkill, put a few in a good airflow position and take the rest off. Rads are made to dissipate heat, with good airflow you don't really need 4+ fans per rad. Have you tested booting without all the fans, or some other component(s)? Why do you have two awesome ssd cards and then thought you would need three crappy hard-drives?

This appears to be a gaming machine, take those things out of there. If you need a storage device or secondary drive on this awesome rig get a 150-300Gb raptor. If you need those three hard drives put them in external cases for network usb/Ethernet storage.

Reconfigure your fans, take out those unneeded hard-drives and I bet you will boot. With that many fans you might as well rip out your water cooling.

i have the 3 regular hard drives because i also use this rig for programming and like to keep current projects on it, and i need the storage space for games, the SSD's are not nearly enough space to store all the games. even with the 1.5tb of space on the regular drives a few weeks after a reformat they are already 2/3 of the way full.

ok, well i was sold on the enermax evo 1250w till i seen on the thread over at EVGA this it is one that is hit and miss with compatibility with the x58 classified from them. will look into some of those others.

Back