help choosing gaming laptop

blaze15301

Limp Gawd
my job has me traveling all over the country. im in a new city every week and not gaming is killing me.

ive looked at aleinware ,asus,ava,segar,clevo,origin and i cant figure out witch is best.

here is what im looking for.

i need this to last 2+ years.
1070 or more.
i7
16+ gb of ram
2 hds not necesarry
2 m2 ssd not necessary
17 inch
1920 x 1080
not sure the diffrence in 4k max q and all that.

thanks for the help guys.

ive looked at the following

clevo p77
asus zephyer
alienware 17 r4
evga
origin

my job has me traveling all over the country. im in a new city every week and not gaming is killing me.

ive looked at aleinware ,asus,ava,segar,clevo,origin and i cant figure out witch is best.

here is what im looking for.

i need this to last 2+ years.
1070 or more.
i7
16+ gb of ram
2 hds not necesarry
2 m2 ssd not necessary
17 inch
1920 x 1080
not sure the diffrence in 4k max q and all that.

thanks for the help guys.

ive looked at the following

clevo p77
asus zephyer
alienware 17 r4
evga
origin

Alienware 15 with 1070 and GSYNC Screen. I've been looking for something similar that I can use for work + gaming to replace my current laptop. I've had a Y510P SLI for a while now which is great, but I'd like a faster video card, GSYNC and the ability to run Optimus which you can't run with SLI.

I wouldn't recommend Max Q currently. It's overpriced.

As you iterated, there are some Clevo options, as well as options from other manufacturers. However, all of those options have pretty crummy warranty support compared to Dell.

Alienware is certainly much more expensive, but you just simply can't get all of the things that we want. There are some models that are pretty close, but in some way or another lack what Alienware has to offer.

Look at Asus's gaming laptop line (Aorus IIRC?). They have 1070 and 1080 GPUs and are still on the slim side. I switched from Alienware to them for my latest gaming laptop (my last Alienware was a M18 w 4940mx+980m in SLI).

While the Alienwares are built like tanks, they are heavy and bulky as hell. More desktop replacement than laptop. Given the latest generation of lightweight / thin gaming laptops, no reason to go the big bulky route if you are willing to spend the money.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
G-sync = steadier frame rates. It's supposed to prevent screen tearing and help with rapid changes in frame rates, i.e. high fps to low fps or vice versa. Functionally I think it's supposed to be the same as AMD's Freesync. Which one is better? I dunno, but G-Sync belongs to Nvidia and companies have to license the tech to use it (which equals higher costs that are passed to the consumer).

If the GPU is very strong (say a 1070 or 1080GTX running at only 1080p) for that particular app or game and runs high fps all the time, it might not be as noticeable to the naked eye anyway. As always, everyone's eyes are different so YMMV!

I'm currently in the same boat as you. I'm just trying to decide between the AW17 R4 or the Aorus X7. I had an Asus, then went to Alienware and then another Alienware.

I just sent my Razer Blade Pro back for a refund - I loved the computer, but the heat, throttling, power and shutdown issues were too much. I couldn't get them ironed out. I'm going to miss that 4k screen - it was beautiful. The only problem I have with getting another 4k screen is that the 1080 just doesn't have the horsepower to run it, even with G-sync. That, plus they are only 60hz (I use a 144hz on my desktop now, night and day).

So right now, as far as I know, the only choices with a gtx 1080, 7820hk and 1440p 120hz G-sync screen are the AW and the Aorus. Both of which have larger power supplies than the Razer (which was 250w, not even close to enough).

Last edited:
I just got my EVGA SC 17 yesterday. They were having a winter sale and this was $1399. EVGA SC17 1070 17.3" 4K Gaming Laptop, Intel Core i7, GeForce GTX 1070, G-SYNC, 32 GB DDR4, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD, 768-41-2633-T1. IPS screen with matte finish. I have played Battlefront 2 on it and I am very happy. Don't know if they are still on sale but this was almost half price.

I bought a video card from them and got on their mailing list. If they had it once they may have it again.

Does anyone know if the Powerspec 1710 Thunderbolt 3 run in PCIE x4 or x2?

Unsure, but be really careful when checking out a laptop where you may use TB3. For instance, I found that Gigabyte's Aero laptops (and I thin Aorus too) were revealed to have PCI-E x2 connections! Sadly they never seem to list this on the spec page, worse many seem to cite the full speed of the Thunderbolt 3 spec but clearly you are not going to take advantage of that if you're only hooked up at x2!

Oh and anyone else looking for a GSYNC display - check out the Asus Zephyrus. 15" and can include a GTX 1080 (max-q, but still its a 1080) and a 120hz Gsync display, plus its relatively thin and portable for all that power. Only downside is price. There are several configurations out there with those using a 1070 of course cheaper etc.

However, I've heard pretty good things about those EVGA laptops though; almost tried the 15" out for myself awhile ago.

Back