Help choosing Core 2 Duo motherboard

plinx0r

Limp Gawd
I'm planning a C2D build as a Christmas present to myself. The main component I'm struggling to pick is the motherboard. Originally I was set on the eVGA 680i but with the recent SATA problems I'm having second thoughts. I want a solid, stable C2D motherboard that'll run smoothly with an Intel 6400, G. Skill DDR2 800, eVGA 8800 GTS. I've been looking at the following:

ASUS P5B-E
Intel Bad Axe 2
eVGA 680i

I do not need SLI. I will be running a raid 1. I want to run the 6400 at 8 x 400 24/7. Obviously the lower the price the better, but I'll still consider a higher price board if it's worth the investment.

What are everyones thoughts? Any other mobo suggestions?

If you do not need SLi, I'd recommend going with an Intel chipset at this time. I'd recommend the Intel BadAXE2, or the P5W DH, P5B Deluxe, or Gigabyte DQ6 and DS3.

Specifically, the eVGA board has some audio issues, and Creative X-Fi compatibility problems right now on the eVGA board. I am also testing another 680i board, and I have had a much better experience with it. I'll go into more details on that, when the review gets posted.

That's what I was thinking. I really like the idea of running an Intel board but for nearly half the price the P5B-E looks like a great deal.

Dan_D said:
If you do not need SLi, STAY AWAY from the the 680i There are too many performance issues and problems with it right now. Stick with an Intel chipset based board. I'd recommend the Intel BadAXE2, or the P5W DH, P5B Deluxe, or Gigabyte DQ6 and DS3.

I'm curious as to what these issues are. The reviewers seem to love the 680i.

Ouch.
I ordered one and a pair of G.Skill 1GB. Crossing fingers I have no issues.

Best bang for the buck is the Gigabyte 965P-DS3. I love mine.

well i can't say about the evga/bfg 680i or the asus 680i's as i haven't built any yet and am unlikely to build a 680 for a long time to come . the 680i's seem to have some better overclocking features . but unfortunatly the additional cost $250 for the evga and $300-$400 for the asus is just --for lack of a better word 'stupid".

since there is a great demand for the 680i's-- i would guess that the QC has gone out the window and that flakey MB's that should have hit the reject bin got shipped to retail. this has happened every time a new in demand MB has come out . the smart thing to do would be to hold out on the 680's untill the hype dies out and the problems are sorted . you should get a much better MB for less $$ then.

the best bets for excellent overclocking /capable of 500fsb would be the gigabyte 965p-s-3, the gigabyte ds-3, the asus p5b-e and the biostar t-force 965pt . the prices run from $105 for the biostar to about $150 for the asus . there is really no need to pay more if the primary goal is overclocking .

there are several decent overclockers in the 975x series the asus p5w's , the intel xbx 2's and the DFI-975x . the DFI has a new bios that lets it get to around 450fsb . and the dfi hasa reasonable price of $160-$170 . it can run crossfire and sli . but be aware it's still a 975x chipset and it is a bit more tweeky than it's 965p counterparts.could be worth it if you have an application that requires two pci-e's though. :cool:

JSF35rhino said:
there are several decent overclockers in the 975x series the asus p5w's , the intel xbx 2's and the DFI-975x
abit's AW9D series as well.

Back