Help choosing att phone

It's time to upgrade again, and I could use some help and recommendations on what to get.

Here's what I'm looking for: I need a phone that has a really good calender/ appointment /day planer. Something that it is fairly easy to keep track of everything such as multiple project deadlines, meetings, and such. it also needs to be fairly simple to access and input information. I currently have a Samsung sgh-a737, which is really crap. (technically it has the basic capabilities for what I need, but it's really a pain in the ass to do so. So basically the last few years or so, I've been caring around an analog (pen and paper) day planer, but I don't really want to cary that thing everywhere I go.

I also text a lot.

I was thinking about a blackberry or an iPhone, or it seems that there are so many more phones that are far more advanced than my current phone. Any suggestions??

Well, if you don't mind the $30 a month data fee, the iPhone is a fantastic phone that will blow you away. I find the calendar/planner to work well for me. Easy to use and does what it's supposed to do. I recently bought the 3gs and I love it. If you don't find need for a compass (used in some apps), slightly quicker (due to faster processor), taking videos, or voice control, I'd say get the 3g because it's cheaper. I bought the 3gs mainly due to the processor and videos. Either way, it's a great phone.

iphone sucks for heavy keyboard entry, one of its biggest weaknesses. get something with a qwerty keyboard.

nokia e71, e71x, or e72 with handy calender would suit your purposes nicely

WinMo Phones are pretty decent

i have the HTC Touch Pro (AT&T Fuze rebranded)... with TouchFlo 3D, you get eye candy :)... and WM's native calendar + sync with Outlook (or wireless to a MS Exchange server or even google if you have your own google app on your server)

Samsung Epix and Samsung Jack are also WM phones, though i'd say go with HTC if the price's similar, because there are more 'hacking'(ROM) and tweaking opportunities over @ XDA Developers with HTC

iphone sucks for heavy keyboard entry, one of its biggest weaknesses. get something with a qwerty keyboard.
I have to disagree with you on that point. I find myself able to type MUCH faster in my iPhone than on my old Blackjack II. Within a week, it felt like any keyboard, easy to type on.

I vote for the iphone. I wasn't a convert until I was able to pick one up from one of my buddies on the cheap. I used to use a Blackjack II and the iphone wins.

Text entry is very fast once you get used to it, I'm MUCH faster than with the physical keyboard.

The iphone works exactly like it's supposed to, with the exception of MMS...and I'm not too keen on this app store business Apple seems to be playing with, but as long as my phone works as it should I can handle it.

On the other hand, Android appears to be blowing up so I'd look into some of those phones.

I have to disagree with you on that point. I find myself able to type MUCH faster in my iPhone than on my old Blackjack II. Within a week, it felt like any keyboard, easy to type on.

+1. i went from a blackjack 1 to an iphone and i type much faster on the iphone.

I guess I'm in the minority, so I'll remedy my original comment and say, try it for a couple of weeks. i think att has a 15 or 30 day trial period where you can return any phone at no extra charge.

The trial period is 30 days in California and either 14 or 15 days elsewhere. If you decide you don't like the phone within that time period, you can return it (possibly a small restocking fee depending on phone) and simply continue your remaining contract or pick another phone.

Something to remember with the iPhone is that it's much more than just a day planner/texting/phone device. There are plenty of cheaper feature phones with ATT that will do all of the things you want (Eternity, Impression, a couple LG's) if that's all you think you want to do with it. If you want more capabilities or just want it, then the iPhone is a great device. The calender is decent (even better if you jailbreak and install something like IntelliScreen as it makes the lockscreen like the WinMo Today screen), syncs with Outlook, and texting is good unless you prefer a hardware keyboard.

Last edited:
Back