Help choosing a sound card....

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 17, 2000
Messages
6,004
I was looking at the Audigy 4 and Audigy 2 ZS... is the audigy 2 a better card? I can get the Audigy 4 local OEM for 59$. Im looking for something to take some of the load off my cpu during games and of course clearer sound then my current onboard im not to happy with. Thanks for any input.
 
The Audigy 4 is very similar to the Audigy 2 ZS, except with slightly better circuitry. Which card you should get is mainly dependant on the cards, if there's only a $5 difference then go for the Audigy 4, but if it's a decent gap in price then it really isn't worth spending much more for it.
 
Actually I believe an Audigy 4 (not the pro edition) is just a "rebadged" Audigy 2 ZS (though I don't have a definitive answer).
 
Audigy 4 im looking at looks nothing like the Audigy 2 ZS visually. If there isnt much of a difference in the two id rather pick the Audigy 4 up locally.
 
Moofasa~ said:
Actually I believe an Audigy 4 (not the pro edition) is just a "rebadged" Audigy 2 ZS (though I don't have a definitive answer).

Same chip as the ZS but it has superior DACs.
 
Copyright said:
Audigy 4 im looking at looks nothing like the Audigy 2 ZS visually. If there isnt much of a difference in the two id rather pick the Audigy 4 up locally.
Can you post a pic? I think there was also a crippled SE version of the Audigy 4, which would be far worse than a ZS.
 
According to the Wikipedia article, it's basically an Audigy 4 with an SNR of 106dB and no Firewire or gold-plated jacks. It's functionally identical to the Audigy 2 ZS/4 except with slightly worse DACs. I say go for it, it's a good card.
 
Got the audigy 4 at a mom and pop shop for 63$ out the door.. works great and the sound in my games is better... more clear.. less cluttered sounding on BF 2142. Thanks for the help!
 
The Audigy 4 (non pro) is more like an Audigy value, nothing like the A4 Pro. It has lesser specs than a 2zs and I think it highly misleading of Creative to call it an Audigy 4 in that many people assume its the same card minus the front bay unit.
 
That's pretty expensive for that card, but I guess you're paying a premium for buying locally.

amenx, it's highly misleading to call the Audigy 4 Pro an Audigy 4 since it's practically identical to the Audigy 2 ZS aside from slightly better DACs. You're really just splitting hairs.
 
Back
Top