Help choosing 19in LCD

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
I am looking for a new LCD monitor and decided on getting a 19in monitor. I do not want to go over 500 dollars. What are your opnions on the best 19in LCD around. I have found these 2 monitors on newegg that sound pretty good.

Monitor 1:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-112-160&depa=1
I just never heard of that brand of monitors before. Anyone have any experiences with these?

Monitor 2:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-014-063&depa=1
Heard people talk good about these monitors.

Also am thinking of putting in an extra 9 dollars for this:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-116-288&depa=1

So what are your guys opnions? Having any other suggestions on diffrent monitors.

I am also in the market for an LCD (either 19" or the Dell 20" widescreen right now) but I can't seem to find ANY good 19" LCDs!!

The Sceptre looks too good to be true, though... what I mean is, it's a 12ms panel, and has a 140 viewing angle, yet 16.7 million colours? It sounds like a TN+ panel, but has the characteristics of an S-IPS. Yet, there seems to be no other panels like this. I'm confused. Does anyone know the panel in this one? Doesn't seem to be any reviews on the 'net, and the specs on sceptre.com aren't very revealing in those terms. Doesn't even give the pixel size (.294?). Damnit, they don't ship to Canada either :(

As for the Viewsonic, because it's a 19" monitor with a .294 pixel size, as read in this forum, there is a "screen door" effect apparent on it. Which may not drive you nuts, but I would hate it, as I sit fairly close to the monitor in my small computer room.

Damnit, why do LCD's have to suck. I want to get rid of my 17" CRT...

I was also considering that BenQ as a 19" option to the 17" viewsonic that i'll probably get, but i'd like to know how well they work.

I vote Viewsonic VP191s (although personally I like the black version better ;-)
See my reply here.

I watched the previous model (the 25ms) in action and there was no real noticable SDE. The Sony HS94P had a much more serious SDE problem, IMHO.

steviep said:
As for the Viewsonic, because it's a 19" monitor with a .294 pixel size, as read in this forum, there is a "screen door" effect apparent on it. Which may not drive you nuts, but I would hate it, as I sit fairly close to the monitor in my small computer room.

Actually the sceen door effect is much more noticable on 20" screens. It's not about pixel size it's about how much space there is between the pixels. I have to look with a magnifying glass to spot the screen door effect on a 19" LCD.

the benQ is only a 6biot screen it will not render colors correctly as a normal 8bit lcd would (most are 8 bit, this is why the benq's are so cheap)

I have this LCD for a yr "Sharp LL-T19D1-B." In my opinion it's a great monitor for gaming and other use. I didn't see no ghosting from my games (Halo, Doom3, Far Cry, HL2, CS:S NFSU and the greatest of my games Pinball and Solitaire no ghosting at all). Yes it says 25ms but yeh I never see no lag of any kind. The only bad thing about this monitor is the price I bought this from Fry's for 600+(rebates applied) a yr ago and saw it on dell's site and still the same. I want to go dual but i guess I can't coz of its price still on that range...

Most panels are NOT 8-bit... actually most panels that have a rated response time of 16ms or less are TN+ panels, and are therefore 6 bit. There are very very few panels (such as the Dell/Benq 20"+ models) that use S-IPS screens with a response time of 16ms typical or less, but the 16ms of an S-IPS panel does not equal the 16ms of a TN+ panel.

It's not just Benq that's "cost saving", and it's not really considered cost saving... as a LOT of the LCD manuf. (even sony) use TN panels, or just the same panel in general.

If your monitor says "16.2 mil colours supported" it's a 6-bit panel that needs colour dithering, and will not produce colours correctly. If it's 16.7, it's 8-bit. An LCD that markets "low response time" generally means it's a TN panel, and therefore one of the "cheap" ones, as you describe them.

Dell's 20"/20" widescreen "Ultrasharp" panels use the same LG-Phillips panel as the higher end Benq/Viewsonic, and Apple Cinema Display respectively, and are S-IPS. Yet they are lower in price than either of the competitors. Their problems and shortcomings are all similar, though. In short, I'm fucked because I'm in the market for an LCD :(

steviep said:
Dell's 20"/20" widescreen "Ultrasharp" panels use the same LG-Phillips panel as the higher end Benq/Viewsonic, and Apple Cinema Display respectively, and are S-IPS. Yet they are lower in price than either of the competitors. Their problems and shortcomings are all similar, though. In short, I'm fucked because I'm in the market for an LCD :(

Hey steviep,

Can you elaborate on the "problems and shortcomings are all similar" of those S-IPS panels? As far as I understood there should be minimal problems with these panels, as their contrast and colors is great, while the viewing angles are good as well.

i have the benq and love it...the 6bit panel doesn't bother me at all...i don't even notice it and it's perfect for gaming and what not...

I'd take a look at the ACER AL1912b. I've used one and noticed no ghosting what so ever. (I don't use an LCD at home so I would notice it.) I'm anti Benq as i've used some of there 15-17" LCD's and they ghosted like crazy, and they just felt cheap lol.

My cost is $10 less than neweggs, but you might be able to find them cheaper elsewhere.

Read the sticky in the displays section. It is pretty helpful though a little long.

All LCDs have shortcomings, that's what i meant. As for S-IPS panels, if you're too lazy to read the stickys, basically their colour reproduction/contrast isn't as nice as a VA panel, and their response times don't usually come close (even if they're listed the same) to reaching TN's current states. They're an "in-between" i guess.

I've read the sticky some time ago, and AFAIR (R=Remember :D) the S-IPS panels were declared as the "almost winners". Meaning, they provide the best all-around solution.

Contrast and colors are fine (maybe not as good as VA but nice) and the refresh rate is much better than VAs and quite close to TN+film.

The only question that still remains is what 19" S-IPS monitors are recommended.. I've once taken a look at the Philips 190P and liked it, but it's not available here anymore. Probably since LG+Philips are going to release their new one (190X5, which was lately reviewed (and won #1) at Tom's here ).

Back